What's new
What's new

Just joined excited about getting helpful feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonatagoodcar

Plastic
2005 Hyundai Sonata (4 cylinder)

1. Purchased Sonata for $600.00 with broken timing belt, I had forgotten about interference engine technology.
2. Replaced timing belt, Sonata runs rough.
3. Perform compression test: cylinder's 1-2 no compression, cylinder's 3-4 good compression.
4. Removed cylinder head; purchased 4 exhaust valves and 4 intake valves to replace bent valves, cleaned cylinder head and surfaces.
5. Perform valve lapping and install new valves.
6. Install cylinder head
7. Engine cranks over but doesn't start
8. Go out another day to redo compression test 2 cylinder's with no compression and 2 with good compression.
9. Go out another day engine does not crank over, new battery, does not crank over, it just has a loud click!

I have been working on cars all my life. I was a mechanic in the National Guard and I worked full time for the NG in Atascadero. I attended Allen Hancock College in Santa Maria for Auto Mechanics (4.0 GPA 1 semester) I feel like I am a good mechanic but I have worked in Construction for the past 30 years.

Why would the engine crank over but now it is locked up?
Why would there not be compression in 2 cylinder's?
I appreciate all responses!!
Thank you
D.J.

Did they change the name to Practical Mechanic and not tell me?

*THIS* is why you never put an ad in the Yellow Pages..

Most people think that MACHINE shops and MACHINISTS only deck cylinder
heads, Bore cylinders, Do valve jobs and Grind Cranks.. And the really
really really good ones also port heads.

There is nothing else in the world made out of metal, or that needs machining.

I'm reminded of reading about acronyms that British doctors would sometimes put on charts. For instance a notation of UBI stood for "Unexplained Beer Injury". The OP on this might be getting the TTFO note which was crude expression for "Told to Go Away". That one actually came up in court where the patient sued and the doctor was put on the stand. He was asked what the TTFO notation stood for and with astonishing presence of mind said, "To Take Fluids Orally".

2005 Hyundai Sonata (4 cylinder)

1. Purchased Sonata for $600.00 with broken timing belt, I had forgotten about interference engine technology.
2. Replaced timing belt, Sonata runs rough.
3. Perform compression test: cylinder's 1-2 no compression, cylinder's 3-4 good compression.
4. Removed cylinder head; purchased 4 exhaust valves and 4 intake valves to replace bent valves, cleaned cylinder head and surfaces.
5. Perform valve lapping and install new valves.
6. Install cylinder head
7. Engine cranks over but doesn't start
8. Go out another day to redo compression test 2 cylinder's with no compression and 2 with good compression.
9. Go out another day engine does not crank over, new battery, does not crank over, it just has a loud click!

I have been working on cars all my life. I was a mechanic in the National Guard and I worked full time for the NG in Atascadero. I attended Allen Hancock College in Santa Maria for Auto Mechanics (4.0 GPA 1 semester) I feel like I am a good mechanic but I have worked in Construction for the past 30 years.

Why would the engine crank over but now it is locked up?
Why would there not be compression in 2 cylinder's?
I appreciate all responses!!
Thank you
D.J.
Starting with 9.) Is it locked up, or did the starter fail? How much have you been cranking it trying to start it. A 4 cylinder does not have a huge starter motor that can survive excess cranking.
As you messed with the timing belt, are you sure you got that back correctly, which brings up that it may have slipped to now causing the starter to be locked with the piston on a valve.
Take the timing belt cover off, and VERIFY it is correct.

Since it is an interference engine, you HAVE to have is all lined up BEFORE you bolt the head on.
If you bolt on the head, Then turn the crank to the alignment position, ... CRUNCH!! into junk.
If you have the crankshaft aligned, then bolt on the head, Then turn the cam to align it... CRUNCH!! into scrap metal.

And maybe the battery is now dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back