What's new
What's new

Any Idea who the maker of this monster is?

I just bought this monster and am going to restore and use it. I have not found a plate or marking to indicate who the manufacturer is. It actually works just has a bit of surface rust that needs to be cleaned up and a fresh coat of paint. It cost me 300.00 and we had to disassemble it to get it loaded on the trailer its Hella Heavy

Attachments

• 20190911_193930.jpg
    20190911_193930.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 910
  • 20190910_080515.jpg
    20190910_080515.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 887
  • 20190911_193914.jpg
    20190911_193914.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 830
Monster??? I was expecting something massive, that is just a wee little machine, only thing monsterous about it is its condition! Sorry, don't recognize it, might help if you had some pics prior to disassembly.

The front bed ways are very strange, they look 5 times as far apart as they should be. I'd be interested in knowing why. We saw a strange lathe built in the low countries a while back with a different wide front way.

Last monster I saw ,the ways were set in a trench 10 feet below floor level,so the 30 ft faceplate was accesable,and it was the only machine in a big shed (Evans Deakin,at Coopers Plains).....Taint there anymore,cause the ways were filled over and concreted ,and the rest went off for scrap....now the state govt own the complex,and teach some kind of tiddly winks crap there.

Not sure of maker, however might have been produced in New England @1860-1870. I think the headstock should be installed on the opposite end of bed. If this assumption is correct, then the wide shelf would be on the backside of lathe bed, which was typical of small lathes of the era with "cast in bed" taper attachments.
I don't see the rest of the attachment in images. I do own a Wood and Light from @1860-1870 with similar "cast in bed" taper attachment, complete.

I don't understand the need to criticize.

Size is perspective. To some this could be a big lathe and others it is not.
I have seen and run lathes that would dwarf the ATW, shown in this thread, making it look small.

It is no toy lathe.
It looks like a 13 inch to 15 inch swing H.L. Shepard lathe from Cincinnati.

Rob

I don't understand the need to criticize.

Size is perspective. To some this could be a big lathe and others it is not.
I have seen and run lathes that would dwarf the ATW, shown in this thread, making it look small.

It is no toy lathe.
It looks like a 13 inch to 15 inch swing H.L. Shepard lathe from Cincinnati.

Rob
"find" postings are much better accepted in the homeshop forums.

As suggested above, post #2

Seeing how you can't understand this concept, maybe you should follow the OP over there as well....

I just bought this monster and am going to restore and use it. I have not found a plate or marking to indicate who the manufacturer is. It actually works just has a bit of surface rust that needs to be cleaned up and a fresh coat of paint. It cost me 300.00 and we had to disassemble it to get it loaded on the trailer its Hella Heavy

David, as soon as i opened your post, (considering the title) and saw the picture of your new machine, i knew you were in for a bit of a wire-brushing. As you've probably figured out by now, many of the folks on this forum are real pros with years of accumulated experience at both operating and maintaining large industrial machinery...and at giving a new guy a bit of a hard time. My advice is take to take the ribbing in good fun. Rarely do these guys eat their young. You will find this board to be a wealth of knowledge and the members to be smart, experienced, and very helpful. But it does help to have thick skin. So welcome. That is an interesting machine you have there even though it clearly is no monster.

Mark

"find" postings are much better accepted in the homeshop forums.

As suggested above, post #2

Seeing how you can't understand this concept, maybe you should follow the OP over there as well....

Since this thread was moved to the Antique Machinery and History forum, when I posted my response, the quote above makes no sense.

This is what other forum members are saying about your responses.

"Seriously Digger, you spend a lot of time complaining here on this forum. Why don't you expend your energy and spare time on things that give you satisfaction and happiness? Life is too short to spend it unhappy."

Rob

I was a bit disappointed when I clicked on this thread, I was thinking big craven etc. It seems when thread title says monster, big , huge it means big compared to a emco 3!

I did get angry once when I drove a fair distance to see a ‘massive’ lathe for it to be a Colchester of 5’ centres though to be fair to a lot of people it was a big un.

Good luck to the op in getting it going

"Seriously Digger, you spend a lot of time complaining here on this forum. Why don't you expend your energy and spare time on things that give you satisfaction and happiness? Life is too short to spend it unhappy."

A doctor told my sister in law that all old people are depressed. It's just the nature of the beast. I don't necessarily agree but there's probably something to it.

Back