What's new
What's new

Can anybody confirm this year 2000 Haas VF-OE spec list please

M K

Cast Iron
Newbie to haas, just bought a VF-0E & have loads of questions

Hi e,veryone

I’m new to cnc and to Haas,

I am a small 1 man machining and fabrication business that’s only been going 4 months, and I recently sold my prototrak DPM cnc bed mill as I wanted a proper vmc

I have just bought a year 2000 Haas VF0E

I know the E stands for extended bed, but the spec list just shows number so I’m unclear what it has and doesn’t have?

It won’t be delivered for another week yet so thought I’d ask here

I emailed Haas uk about what options, memory etc it had and they sent me this as the last current known spec

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

Does this mean it has Macros, rotational scaling, rigid tapping, floppy disc, 4th axis enabled and 16meg memory upgrade or does it mean it doesn’t have them options?

Thanks for any help/feedback in advance

Marc

Attachments

• 7A02C380-0536-4573-8D06-2CEEE90DC2AD.jpg
    7A02C380-0536-4573-8D06-2CEEE90DC2AD.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
normally the E was a option package that included a machine with all options such as rigid tapping, macros, rotational scaling, what ever was offered for max memory ( could have been anywhere from 1M ,4M,8M , or even 16M depending on what was available at build time) P cool, chip auger, floppy drive. 4th axis ready.

I'm sorry I miss read your text . the VFOE is the economy model that is a DC drives instead of the optional AC drives. still a very good machine. just a little less torque and speed on feeds and Rapids. sorry for the confusion. for some reason I thought ur post said Vf2 with E .

I'm sorry I miss read your text . the VFOE is the economy model that is a DC drives instead of the optional AC drives. still a very good machine. just a little less torque and speed on feeds and Rapids. sorry for the confusion. for some reason I thought ur post said Vf2 with E .

correct the vfo is the 20x16 model and vfoe is the 30x16 model. most of the older base o & oe will have pcool, rigid tapping, and wired for 4th axis for options along with floppy (look into upgrading to a usb port). I've got a '97 vfo nice little entry level machine. don't worry about all the options and start learning the machine it'll do just about anything you need it to.

Thank you for you reply’s

I will do my research regarding the Macros to learn them if it has the option to use them,

I’m not sure why the picture is coming out so small,

Basically the info is as follows

Serial number - 22810
Machine model - VF-0EBCE
Current software version - M10.31N
Macros - 49540
Rotational & scaling - 54757
Rigid tapping - 59971
Floppy disc enabled - 1
4th axis drive enabled - 1
16meg memory option disabled - 15825

If the 16meg memory option is disabled is it easy to add on these older machines?

I am starting to learn cad/cam with fusion 360 and I know that these older controls are not a patch on new stuff with usb and flash drives etc but would like the memory to be able to handle a decent size program without having to drip feed,

When it turns up I will look into the usb upgrade for it if it doesn’t already have it fitted,

Thanks
Marc

From some google searching it seems i will probably have the macros as the machine did have a renishaw probing system fitted that was sadly not included in the auction sale and has been removed since the photos

VF0E---1.jpg
VF0E---2.jpg
VF0E---3.jpg
VF0E---4.jpg

Thanks
Marc

Hi

Thanks for the reply, ok i did wonder what the numbers meant,

I will have to check and see next week when the machine gets to me.

I spoke to Haas uk who said as standard the machine had 1 meg of memory so it is likely that is all it has as they have no record of an upgrade.

The cost to upgrade to 16 meg memory was a staggering £34,000 uk pounds yes THIRTY FOUR THOUSAND!!!!!!! PLUS VAT as they would need to replace the entire control system!!!!! so that is out of the question

What sort of size program can be held with 1 meg as i have no idea

Hi

Thanks for the reply, ok i did wonder what the numbers meant,

I will have to check and see next week when the machine gets to me.

I spoke to Haas uk who said as standard the machine had 1 meg of memory so it is likely that is all it has as they have no record of an upgrade.

The cost to upgrade to 16 meg memory was a staggering £34,000 uk pounds yes THIRTY FOUR THOUSAND!!!!!!! PLUS VAT as they would need to replace the entire control system!!!!! so that is out of the question

What sort of size program can be held with 1 meg as i have no idea

DO NOT start dicking around with that control. except it for what it is, don't try any work around's, don't bang on it, don't even fart in its general vicinity. Haas does not have tech support, parts or service for it anymore. If so much as a board goes out the machine is useless without that retrofit from Haas at 34K pounds. ($25K in the states).

One of the other members here in the CNC sub forum tried an upgrade and the tech grounded a board and killed the machine.

I pray some company comes along and makes replacement boards for the processor at some point in time. there is a board place in MD that repairs them. but you still need haas to come in and install the software.

Hi

I definitely won’t be messing with the control and risking any damage,

I may just look into a usb retro fit or setting up the rs232 so I can run a program straight from the laptop and fusion 360

Thanks
Marc

I pray some company comes along and makes replacement boards for the processor at some point in time. there is a board place in MD that repairs them. but you still need haas to come in and install the software.

Several of us have posted locations that repair them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Il try and found someone here in the uk, I have a few cnc repair contacts so one of them will hopefully point me in the right direction if I run into problems

Thanks
Marc

I have the machine now and I’m just getting it ready to run and it has the brushless servo drives and AC motors on it so that’s the better ones to have I believe

Thanks
Marc

The brushless servo drive for a 4th axis has a tag on it that says ‘Faulty’ so that will need repair if I ever get a 4th axis,

Also the Tool release button on the spindle housing does not work at all which I have read is quite a common issues but
Luckily the ‘Tool release’ but on the control works fine

Thanks
Marc

Back