What's new
What's new

O.T. Thermostat Query.

You probably could, but some have a small vent hole to allow air to escape. That can be important because an air bubble around the pellet will prevent it from sensing heat properly. In addition, quite a few these days come with an integral silicone seal . You'd need to make sure any substitutions would seal properly in the recess. Other than that, as far as I know if it fits it ought to work.

Do they make thermostats that are in line inside a hose? Seems like you could make a simple housing for one and make it fit somewhere that way. Maybe as simple as two water necks back to back. I believe it is under 14 PSi. or maybe it is 7 PSI?
Bil lD

On edit they do make remote thermostat housings. Cheaper then your replacement thermostat.
JEGS In-Line Thermostat Housing | JEGS

I do not quite know why but they also can replace the water pump with an electric one. Maybe vary the speed regardless of rpm?
Bil lD

Yes it has the small vent for air bleed, Ill see if I can match it up with an aftermarket one and see thanks.

Yup, that hole is veeeery important....if you find one without, you might slip it into a flat rate box and mail it off to a member here to get that hole drilled....:D

I do not quite know why but they also can replace the water pump with an electric one. Maybe vary the speed regardless of rpm?
Bil lD

Uh bill ?

OP stated it's in a "Mustang Skidsteer"....have you ever looked in the back of one of these ? with the Cummins stuffed in there, it's a tite fit.

No need to re-engineer for a cheaper thermostat (recall dealer has proper OEM for $110)

Uh bill ?

OP stated it's in a "Mustang Skidsteer"....have you ever looked in the back of one of these ? with the Cummins stuffed in there, it's a tite fit.

No need to re-engineer for a cheaper thermostat (recall dealer has proper OEM for $110)

Yup, Im not going to re-engineer for $110. I will buy from Cummins if I have to, im sure its a $10 dollar part to them though.

Ok so Cummins want $110 for a Thermostat for my Mustang Skidsteer , can one not just match the dia. and temp and use any Thermostat ? I dont see why not !
Thanks

Which engine do you have?
Do you have the Tstat part number from cummins?

Google the part number and you will find suitable alternatives.

The hole location is also important if the thermostat main plane is vertical the hole normally goes up. If the thermostat lays flat hole location should not matter just as long as there is a hole.
Bill D.

PS: No i have never seen inside a skid steer engine compartment. On Diesel tractors there is plenty of room to modify stuff on the engine. Older Yanmar's did not even have a water pump just thermosyphon. They have issues on a constant slope so folks add electric pumps if their land is not flat.

I highly recommend a Stant Superstat if you can find one the right size and temperature. Best thing I ever installed - fast warmups and very stable temperature control.

The Superstat varies the opening with temperature rather than being simply open or closed.

The 3.3 is not a Cummins engine. It's made by Komatsu.

Cummins and Komatsu had a deal then Cummins came out with their own little plastic ISF engine and dropped Komatsu. Cummins does a terrible job of supporting the 3.3 stuff.

Komatsu should be better on parts.

The 3.3 is a good little engine though.

The 3.3 is not a Cummins engine. It's made by Komatsu.

Cummins and Komatsu had a deal then Cummins came out with their own little plastic ISF engine and dropped Komatsu. Cummins does a terrible job of supporting the 3.3 stuff.

Komatsu should be better on parts.

The 3.3 is a good little engine though.

Regardless who made it its badged Cummins . Thanks I will look into thast.

Back