What's new
What's new

Lathe inserts CNMG

Johnhudson

Aluminum
Need to tool up a new too me lathe thought I would check Ebay for some inserts, Wow most big lots of them come from China.
Are these counterfeits?

I don't think you can call a standard shaped object a couterfeit because it it made in another country out of some sort of material
I'll say this, I bought some Chinese inserts once. Only once.
Lots of better places to buy inserts than Ebay.

My experience with Chinese sources has been the Korloy brand which is normally a Korean brand and as far as I know they were legit.

What I received were ground, polished and perfectly suitable for the non-ferrous work I was doing and at less than $1ea I really can’t complain.

Some of the regular Chinese sources have apparently old stock Iscar grade IC907 (I think the newest is IC908) at a price that I would gamble on if I needed a pack for personal work.

When I'm doing stuff in China and need an insert its only about a 5 minute walk to any of 50 tooling suppliers. They all carry the name brand stuff but lots of time they copied the box and put their own cutters in. Most of the time they turn out to be pretty good tools but then again some shatter as soon as it hits the part. It's all a gamble bu so far it has been good for me. I bought several knockoff Kennametal 60 mm face mills and can't tell the difference to the real ones in the shop. when you can buy the body for less than $10 bucks and a pack of inserts for $5 it's worth a gamble. I have some cutters that have been in the machine for months now.

As Hazzert said, Iscar IC9XX are in abundance over here. I think I picked up 100 each CNMG-432 (TF and PP) in IC907 for $20 and seem to be real. Those two inserts pretty much replaced every CNMG in the whole factory.

I've learned not to stereotype Chinese stuff with Harbor freight anymore. A lot of their tools are as good or better than the well known brands.

Back