What's new
What's new

Problems Threading on Mazatrol T32-2

cleroux

Plastic
Hoping you brilliant minds can help me, yet again, with a threading issue. The finish product is an auger, so it's super deep with a high pitch. The problem I'm having is that the wall seems to be "trailing" away from the spindle.

Take a look:
20191010_101135.jpg

Here's the beginning of a part that I scrapped using the same settings (but a wider tool tip):
20191010_101156.jpg

Can anyone explain why things seem to have magically changed? I'm at a total loss and Mazatrol is, as usual, not helping. Thank you!!

EDIT: PROGRAM PARAMETERS:
2THR OUT[1]00.798910.55650.00511
[tr]
[td]PNo.[/td]
[td]MODE[/td]
[td]#[/td]
[td]CHAMF[/td]
[td]LEAD[/td]
[td]ANG[/td]
[td]MULTI[/td]
[td]HGT[/td]
[td]NUMBER[/td]
[td]V[/td]
[td]DEPTH[/td]
[td]TOOL[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]SEQ[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td]SPT-X[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]SPT-Z[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]FPT-X[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]FPT-Z[/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]

Last edited:
I did this. Ran a few trials on the original part and it still appears to be doing the same thing. Could I have something else wrong?
Just to be clear we are talking about the same field, I'm talking about making ANG 0 instead of 89.

You also need to make sure the part is not being pushed back into the chuck as the part is being threaded. That may be the case if you do not have a positive stop.

Just to be clear we are talking about the same field, I'm talking about making ANG 0 instead of 89.

You also need to make sure the part is not being pushed back into the chuck as the part is being threaded. That may be the case if you do not have a positive stop.

Yeah, that's what I changed. Then I ran a few passes and it seems to be doing the same thing. (I am still running on the part in the first picture, so maybe I'm seeing things, but I used blue to see.... ). I checked my zero to the edge of the part and I'm not pushing more than maybe 3 or 4 thou. My angled wall is off by about .080". I'll keep messing with it, but I'm running low on creative corrections.

Yeah, that's what I changed. Then I ran a few passes and it seems to be doing the same thing. (I am still running on the part in the first picture, so maybe I'm seeing things, but I used blue to see.... ). I checked my zero to the edge of the part and I'm not pushing more than maybe 3 or 4 thou. My angled wall is off by about .080". I'll keep messing with it, but I'm running low on creative corrections.

On rare occasions, I've seen Mazatrol do funny stuff when you edit the process. Worst case, try erasing the process and re-doing it with the same values, but put in ANG 0 from the start.

The only other thing I can think of is the tool data is wrong.

Worst case, try erasing the process and re-doing it with the same values, but put in ANG 0 from the start.

Early indications are that this fixed it. I ran on my already scrapped part and it looks pretty straight. I'll update once I get a new part cut. Thank you for all the help!

Bad News....

Quick question though. Could changing the RPM override during the cycle do this? I had some gnarly chatter and adjusted it instinctively. So, as Steve Urkel would say... "Did I do that?"

Bad News....

Quick question though. Could changing the RPM override during the cycle do this? I had some gnarly chatter and adjusted it instinctively. So, as Steve Urkel would say... "Did I do that?"

Dont do that. Pretty sure our Tplus lathes will allow you to change spindle speed while threading but Ive never tried to prove it as I would be guaranteed a scrap thread.

Bad News....

YES! :willy_nilly:

The older controls will loose the thread lead if you the override the speed. Also, do not change the programmed speed once you start the cut. Only change the speed in between parts. Never change the speed once you cut your first pass. I scrapped an expensive part learning that lesson.

YES! :willy_nilly:

The older controls will loose the thread lead if you the override the speed. Also, do not change the programmed speed once you start the cut. Only change the speed in between parts. Never change the speed once you cut your first pass. I scrapped an expensive part learning that lesson.

who hasn't been there :P

Back