What's new
What's new

O.T.: One.. no... Two... no THREE! Lombards running!

Terry Harper

Cast Iron
What better way to introduce the latest addition to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum
collection than on "Living History Day" which is traditionally our biggest event of the year.

If you recall from earlier posts we moved the 1928 Lombard dump truck a few weeks ago.
Its on loan to the museum through the gracious generosity of the Breton family.

needless to say it was a big hit with our visitors and our operating crew! We even
used it to fill in a few pot holes in Government Road (my daughter loved being on the road crew!)

During both days it ran flawless! Like any machine there is a "to-do" list. It sis not
want to idle at low RPM which made shifting gears (cleanly) a bit of a chore when you
have bunch of heavy, non-sycro gears whirring around at high rpm. Thicker oil in the tranny
may help too. On the 10 ton Lombard its about the consistency of steam engine oil.

Another issue was the forward/reverse lever kept jumping out - a bungie fixed that but
looking at the lever it looks as though it may have worked on a quadrant at one time.

In addition I refurbished a vacuum tank which once installed and neaten-up the fuel line
will allow us to range further afield (i.e. up hills)

Anyway all this will be worked on in time. For now its at the Museum and will be run
and demonstrated to the delight of everyone.

Here is the video:

YouTube

The cool hoist mechanism is a unit that was marketed by the Highway Hoist Company. In the mid-1920's they were aquired
by Gar Wood - thus the "Wood" logo cast into the arms of the hoist. If you want to slip down
a rabbit hole for awhile look-up Garfield Wood, his life and amazing inventions and accomplishments.
(fabulous Garwood speed boat? That's him! Look up his racing boat "Miss Detroit")

Best regards,

Terry

72633096_424850301569134_5882791459513434112_n.jpg 72611077_424850221569142_7748748148813594624_n.jpg

DSC_9884.jpg DSC_9938.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

Back