What's new
What's new

Is this phosphor bronze or beryllium copper?

SteveM

Diamond
I have a roll 6" wide and several feet long of a copper alloy that is 0.005" thick.

It is a shiny copper color and it has very good springing properties. You can bend it and it snaps right back into place.

Copper.jpg

Is there any definitive way to tell if this is phosphor bronze or beryllium copper?

I know dad had both in the shop.

Steve

A definitive way? Yes. You can hold it up to the bench grinder for a few minutes. If your lungs fill with fluid and you need to be rushed to the hospital, then you can know for sure that it is BeCu.

Sorry I can't help you with a more viable method. Maybe look into chemical etching? But if you don't know for sure be very careful cutting it not to introduce ANY dust into air that you might breathe.

Is there any definitive way to tell if this is phosphor bronze or beryllium copper?
XRF gun at the scrap yard might be able to give you an answer.

I did find .005" thick phosphor bronze sheets on MSC and it says it can be used for springs. I could not find BeCu in .005" thick anywhere though.

A definitive way? Yes. You can hold it up to the bench grinder for a few minutes. If your lungs fill with fluid and you need to be rushed to the hospital, then you can know for sure that it is BeCu.

Sorry I can't help you with a more viable method. Maybe look into chemical etching? But if you don't know for sure be very careful cutting it not to introduce ANY dust into air that you might breathe.

That's the primary reason I'm trying to figure it out (also to figure how to price it - beryllium copper is more expensive).

I did find .005" thick phosphor bronze sheets on MSC and it says it can be used for springs. I could not find BeCu in .005" thick anywhere though.

Wikipedia lists both as used for springs:

Phosphor bronze - Wikipedia
Beryllium copper - Wikipedia

Steve

Find a piece of each that you know for sure is phosphor bronze and/or berylium copper
Then etch it with any acid you have at hand and see the differences
Probably there will be some If not Get another acid

Peter

I have a roll 6" wide and several feet long of a copper alloy that is 0.005" thick.

It is a shiny copper color and it has very good springing properties. You can bend it and it snaps right back into place.

View attachment 267755

I know dad had both in the shop.

Steve

Specific gravity test. Electrical conductivity. Acid resistance. Colours of reagent salts. Colours as heated. Flame test...Response to heat-treat.

Heat-treat response is the more easily definitive, machine / metals shop environments, not Chemistry laboratory.

Or ... the Old Fart test?

Does not look like BeCu

Does look like Phosphor Bronze.

Handle it. Then sniff it. Which one do the ions smell like?

Yes, four-legged SOB's have a far better sense of smell that two legged SOB's.

That ignores just how very good human sense of smell is, even so.

If you want to cut off a small piece and send it to me I can hit it with the XRF and see what it has to say about it. PM for address.

Metalo hit it with the XRF, and the verdict is in:

It's phosphor bronze.

Besides copper. it shows tin, indicating bronze, plus some phosphorous.

Phosphor bronze would have 4.2%-5.8% tin (this has 5.08%) and 0.03% to 0.35% phosphorous (this has 0.118%).

Thanks, Metalo.

Steve

Attachments

• PhosphorBronze.jpg
    PhosphorBronze.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 116

Back