What's new
What's new

List of so called "influencers" doing machine shop or manufacturing videos ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
List of so called "influencers" doing machine shop or manufacturing videos ?

By influencer I mean someone that is providing solid info but also hoping to "influence" what you might purchase in the future. Titan comes to mind as an extreme example. Don Bailey at Surburban Tool might be an example of a more subtle approach.

YouTube

Who else ?

Oxtool... WD40, KBC tools
Abom79... WD40, KBC, and others
This Old Tony.. cant figure it out...don't think he sells anything beside shirts, but he may have some ebay slant. I'm sure the outfit selling rotary broaches on Ebay noticed an uptick in sales.

By influencer I mean someone that is providing solid info but also hoping to "influence" what you might purchase in the future. Titan comes to mind as an extreme example. Don Bailey at Surburban Tool might be an example of a more subtle approach.

YouTube

Who else ?

Hey Milacron, tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full.

This Old Tony.. cant figure it out...don't think he sells anything beside shirts, but he may have some ebay slant. I'm sure the outfit selling rotary broaches on Ebay noticed an uptick in sales.

Ha, I bought one. I'd been wanting one for a while and Polygon had their basic broach on there for $125 less than their website.

I have been noticing this guys miniatures recently (fulvio levati) and has kind of rekindled memories of clanking handles. I guess you could say because of seeing his parts has directed me towards some new manual machines purchases. I know the guys on here don't care to much for Facebook but his page's photo library have a plethora of old school machine shop pictures.

Just a few of his parts. Said the grinder took 700 hours to make 1200 pieces.....
fl1.jpgfl2.jpgfl3.jpgFL4.jpgfv 5.jpg

John Saunders (NYC CNC) for sure.

Maybe Jay Pierson?

In the world of Youtube channels, there are a lot of sponsorship and monetization deals going on. I found out what my old college buddy makes streaming himself playing videogames on Youtube (or maybe Twitch?) and I get it. I could make more money a doing shop tours and building my race car with sponsor-supplied parts than I could as a scientist or machinist.

Some of these guys are making regular TV obsolete for me and I’m an aging Luddite...
This old tony makes well produced videos which are relaxing, funny and fun.
AVE the Canadian picture of politically incorrectness is a a really good teacher also. If you can get past his cussing. Funny and smart.

It’s funny how some guy in his shop can make something I enjoy more than a billion dollar Disney production. Power to the people.

AVE the Canadian picture of politically incorrectness is a a really good teacher also. If you can get past his cussing. Funny and smart.
Colin Furze (not sure if it fits in either machine shop, manufacturing nor engineering category)
Hydraulic Press Channel (beside crushing and exploding everything they also machine something occasionally)
Project Binky (more of automotive fabricobbling but the depth of their project is something)

I back filled our justification for why we got a VM-3 using John Saunders's (NYC CNC) video for why he got one which I saw after we had our machine on the floor. I think we had good reasons but John articulated them better. Now I've watched so many Abom79 videos I want us to get a shaper! Just kidding. I actually have a Booth Machine Shop T-shirt though. Buying swag like T-shirts is a great way to support a channel and appeals to me more than Patreon.

For serious modern machining Youtube channels how about:
NYC CNC - John is criticized for being new to the machining game perhaps but he's very compelling in a business sense and his tour videos are fantastic with legendary factories to amazing home shops and he asks excellent questions. His CAM stuff is great too as this is bottleneck for many.
Edge Precision - Peter Stanton is the mill turn master.
MTD CNC The English guys who have put up like 25 short videos from EMO2019 alone. Strictly promotional stuff but useful to see new gear.
AVE: He's often actually wrong about engineering design concepts in his teardown videos but there seem to be a lot of good people in his video comments correcting his nonsense.

One non-CNC one: Sampson Boat Co. This is by the best wooden boat thing on the innerwebz. Leo Gooden is amazing. This is the best video ever: YouTube

Edge Precision - Peter Stanton is the mill turn master.

I have watched videos from pretty much every person listed previously, but Peter is somebody that I think could impress just about everyone here. Plus the parts he makes are the things most people dream about. Those titanium shafts he's currently working on are mind boggling. The snippets of the full model he's shown in CAD are insane with hundreds of features, high L/D ratio gun drilled holes, and those ports he made the custom tooling for. Plus all the tools he makes to get such difficult jobs done are great for referencing.

A big plus for Edge Precision - Peter Stanton. Not many out there that go to the extreme of making their own tooling to get a job done. He definitely thinks out of the box. A lot of the parts he makes, I can speculate what they are used for and probably come close to being correct of their use. I've designed similar parts for in my past that have required some of the machining that he does. Ken

check out zala machine. Just a passionate and skilled shop owner who posts cool machining footage every once in awhile. No fluff the guy just makes chips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not many out there that go to the extreme of making their own tooling to get a job done.

I do not watch youtube. At all. No time for it. ( don't watch TV either, save for the news )

That said, I'm a fan of Peter's work. ( @peterlstanton ) However, your statement literally evoked a verbal response of, "Are you fscking kidding me?" I can easily name ten other shops that make their own tooling, commonly. ( besides myself, in our shop ) More, if I think about it.

It's literally what Tool Makers do...

They all have something you can likely learn from, some more than others. NYCCNC does have some good content but I cringe at the thought of listing to him say "insane" for the 864,914,635,648,547,458th time. Many of the other guys are also a little to entry level based for my liking....meaning their videos not necessarily their abilities.

Peter Stanton at Edge Precision is hands down IMO the best thing you will find on YouTube. Only problem I can think of with him is much of his work is covered by NDA's so he is limited in what he can show.

Back