What's new
What's new

Moore G18 jig grinder - critique this video...

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Mainly....is it typical loudness ? Some is the vacuum of course, but the spindle pneumatic turbine sound ?

YouTube

Mainly....is it typical loudness ? Some is the vacuum of course, but the spindle pneumatic turbine sound ?

YouTube

I agree sounds kinda way too loud / something not quite right there.

Probably works but... That howling is pretty intolerable. Admittedly the other sounds seem a little amped up with sound reflecting against the hard surface of the wall but still.

Even the reciprocating head sounds a bit harsh / hollow sounding, but is probably OK.

@Milacron do you rebuild or retrofit jig grinders ?

Ta.

Doesn't sound like any of the Moore jig grinders I've run (3-4). It's been about 20 years but I recall all of them had a distinct turbine whine as they spooled up. A lot of the spindle noise may have something to do with how the air exits the exhaust port if something isn't OEM. I didn't notice any change in the exhaust "note", which I recall has having a much higher pitch/frequency, as the spindle speed spooled up either and that may/may not indicate something. There are enough other members here that still run one of the Moore's that I'd be interested hearing their opinion before reaching a conclusion. They do make noise but not like that one.

I'll agree, that's a low speed high power head. Hear the low sounds when he just starts the motor? That sounds to me like a big air motor.

Does it sound any different without that long tool in there?

That head will sound the same with or without the tool. If memory serves, it has a 40k max spindle speed. We used them for jig milling with single flute carbide cutters. I haven't run a jig grinder since about 1984 but you never forget the sounds.

I do a lot of work on a G18(photos in my album). It sounds good to me, the head is probably getting close to rebuild time. Like said above, a week or two of 175K small hole grinding gets real tiresome.

Back