What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020s score

jabberwoki

Cast Iron
Well not new but new to me. I found this old beauty buried in an old warehouse . I`ll be picking it up soon but today I grabbed all the loose bits. Whilst scrounging in the dark I found this neat old cabinet and low and behold a massive collection of Rivett collets for the machine.
The Lathe is in good shape with no ridges on the ways and it`s mostly complete and was originally bought by the USAF.
We`ll see how it goes when I get it home.

Attachments

• KIMG0807 (1).jpg
    KIMG0807 (1).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 780
  • KIMG0812.jpg
    KIMG0812.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 695
  • KIMG0814.jpg
    KIMG0814.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 651
  • KIMG0813.jpg
    KIMG0813.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 645
  • KIMG0810.jpg
    KIMG0810.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 636
More pix. Anybody know what the 3rd pix is?

Opps here the main pic the right way up.

Attachments

• KIMG0809.jpg
    KIMG0809.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 426
  • KIMG0808.jpg
    KIMG0808.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 454
  • KIMG0815.jpg
    KIMG0815.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 481
  • KIMG0807 (1).jpg
    KIMG0807 (1).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 500
Great job!! I also want to hear more about how you found this piece of history. It looks like you got the taper attachment on there as well along with the steady rest (very hard to find). I don't recognize the square head bolt that you took a pic of, sorry.

Major find and score!! I am hoping that there is a 1020 out there with my name on, and we are just waiting to find each other.

Great lathe, and congratulations.

My Rivett has been spoken for but the buyer hasn't come to get it yet.
He'd better hurry before winter get's here or I might just keep it.

So the story is, I bought my Queen city grinder from this guy some years ago and since then I always go to him first when I have a machine itch .
So a couple of weeks ago I popped in as I wanted a 10EE at which point I was educated somewhat on Rivett lathes as he said he had one.
It`s took 2 or so weeks to nudge him into Shangri la aka the old machine warehouse to show me it since he first told me about it I had been doing research on them.
After seeing it took another 3 weeks to finally nail down a deal.
That's about it.
My plan is to get it home and start on the motor assembly first then go from there.
As part of the deal if there is something major wrong with it I can return it for a refund.

Attachments

• khf.jpg
    khf.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 250
Got it home, I'll bet its not seen sunlight for 15 years.
Now to come up with a plan of attack

Attachments

• KIMG0825.jpg
    KIMG0825.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 389
  • KIMG0826.jpg
    KIMG0826.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 385
  • KIMG0828.jpg
    KIMG0828.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 382
  • KIMG0829.jpg
    KIMG0829.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 416
  • KIMG0830.jpg
    KIMG0830.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 356
I`ve got the fire going in the shop and all the panels off or open to drive any moisture out.

Attachments

• KIMG0831.jpg
    KIMG0831.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 308
  • KIMG0833.jpg
    KIMG0833.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 357
I was looking at it today and there`s not much clearance between the top of the motor and the body.
I`ve got a couple of things ahead of it but I`ll give it ago. Thanks Mate.

Anybody ever taken out the motor and drive system plate? completely?

Not on a Rivett, but here are some of the ways I've handled other heavier (DC) motors:

- Oil-sprayed Steel Ell rails slid under a disconnected motor. Corner pry-bar up to clear bolt heads or studs. Walk it out with a short pry bar.

- Jack-up hydraulic die cart for higher-up. Ignorant furniture dolly for low ones, brought up to height with polywood (it slides easily), atop plywood & grillage of 1-by, 2-by, 4-by cuts.

- Pick-up truck in-bed 1,000 lb boom, A sort of hydraulic jack operated - "mini-cherry-picker", HF & other sell for under $100. These drop over a length of steel tubing, can be mounted low to the floor.

- Taller openings, a cherry-picker can "sometimes" reach into - otherwise too much down-angle.

Do your planning and trial fits, you probably find you have everything you need but "spare" patience.

AC motor can be 10 HP and still under 40 lbs Avoir. If one plans for 80 lbs, you should be golden.

DC motors I use run 200 Avoir to just under 400 Avoir. Those need a tad more care.

So does any motor with an attached gearbox. Those can weigh more than the motor itself, make a major change to center of balance for lifting.

HTH

:)

Back