What's new
What's new

Deep drawing part procedure

Alesh

Plastic
Hello all,

I'd need to help with my school project.
I have a drawing of part whitch should be produced by deep drawing and cutting.

• I have to design a tool - how many deep drawing and cutting stations will be used plus schematics.
  • Choose a machine for production (from internet)
  • Choose a material for product
  • Prepare working instruction - describe production process

Could someone give me a hand please?
Drawing is attached

deepdrawing.jpg

If this is school task the instructor should have already covered the general topics required and the "ask" is for you to apply what has been presented.

Do your homework...feel free to post your idea here to see if others can comment on it but this is your task.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hello all,

I'd need to help with my school project.
I have a drawing of part whitch should be produced by deep drawing and cutting.

• I have to design a tool - how many deep drawing and cutting stations will be used plus schematics.
  • Choose a machine for production (from internet)
  • Choose a material for product
  • Prepare working instruction - describe production process

Could someone give me a hand please?
Drawing is attached

View attachment 268291

The dwg you attached is not a "deep draw". But it is a drawn part.

A deep draw is a part that is 2/3 (or greater) as deep as it's diameter.

This would be made in a progressive stamping die, in a punch press with an accurate feeder system.

The size of the machine would depend on how many stations are required.

There would need to be more info as to the material you need to draw. (I could not read any of the dimensions on the dwg.)

If this were made from annealed copper, the operation would probably only require two form stations. (if you're planning a pinch trim on the bottom edge)

If there is a roundness callout, more stations would be required, as well as much more development time.

If you're trying to do Stainless, or similar materials, there would need to be many more stations, and maybe even a form up station to induce some stretch and some heat as well.

You've not supplied enough information to get much help other than what has been posted by others. You need to supply:

1) Intended part purpose/function
2) Selected material and thickness
3) A drawing that I can read. I can't magnify this one large enough to read the numbers.

It would also help to explain what you have already found in researching this assignment. Nobody expects you to know every detail at the beginning of this project and most people are willing to help those that are trying to help themselves.

It's a diffuser made of aluminium material. Demand is 1 000 000/year. Thickness is 1.75 mm. Product is 22.25 mm.
There is a little stump so it can't be probably made in one station.stump.jpg
Could be grooves on top made during stamping in operation 2?
And rounded holes could be made by side piercing as last operation, or am I totaly wrong?
Picture of real product attached diffuser.jpg

No, it shouldn't be made in one station. Side piercing of holes is ok for a few holes on flat sides. Not ok for 10 holes on round shaped object. Do you know why? What else have you discovered in research? What type of AL is best suited for forming? Have you computed how much tonnage is required? How many stations are required to form a shell/cup like this per the ratio of depth/diameter to material thickness? Can the number of holes be reduced? What are the tolerances limits of hole location to slots? I still can't read the drawing image to determine this. If you're using a CAD program (rather than just supplying an image) can you increase the font size for the dimensions and/or increase the contrast so the drawing can be read? Have you started a design for the forming die? If so post an image/drawing of it.

Why not just tell this person everything they need to know, to pass an exam? We wonder why our Engineers are retards.

R

Why not just tell this person everything they need to know, to pass an exam? We wonder why our Engineers are retards.

R

-Because I'd like the OP to admit that he/she isn't willing to do the research/homework required. I realize that far too many millennials simply want all their questions answered because they're too lazy to do the work of educating themselves. I suspect that this may be the case here but I'd like to give the OP the benefit of the doubt until he/she admits the level of motivation. Much as I dislike most of them I've had to work with there is a responsibility (of sorts) to help educate those that are at least trying to help themselves no matter how minimal it first appears. I owe that to the grumpy old men that helped me when I first entered the trade. They all insisted that whatever they showed me I was obligated to show the next generation (as they were likewise instructed). I like to begin with the assumption that they don't realize how foolish they sound and that in trying no harder than their peer group they need to learn that this notion is also misguided. I agree with you rob, I've had to hold the hand of far too many young engineers that were content to bask in the light of their own ignorance. They will all one day be in charge of our lives (scary isn't it?) and I feel compelled to at least make an effort to redirect them a bit before regarding them as a waste of my time. The only answer I've supplied is that 10 holes can't be perf'd in a round object (perhaps it can but far to complex for this application). Furthermore why don't you quiz the OP a bit so I don't have to do all the vetting?:cheers:

(1) Compound Blank & Draw Die. (1)stroke
(1) Die to perf the holes. (1)stroke secondary operation.
(2) tools and (2) press operations.
5052H32 Aluminum
The drawn part will follow the shape of the Draw Punch.

Start by making a process sheet to determine the order of manufacture; machine requirements, tooling and piece part material specs. And write it down on paper. If you get stuck, ask.

This can be made in a 45 ton punch press. The punch is mounted in a die set on the die shoe with a spring loaded stripper around the punch. With the die mounted on the punch holder of the die-set. The draw ring is in the die opening around the draw punch and is spring loaded. If you have an air cushion I would prefer it over springs for better control of the drawing pressure. The die is made from D2 tool steel. .156 dia. draw radius. Search on You-tube for "Compound Blank and Draw Dies".

AD Design, Your Comments?
Roger

"AD Design, Your Comments?"

Roger- I worked with far more progressive than compound dies so I default to a prog die out of familiarity. I can almost visualize the compound design but can't quite get all of it in my head because all of the perf's and slot punches seem a bit crowded in there for one hit. Since I didn't want to lead the OP down a path I wasn't all that confident with I defaulted to what I'm more familiar with. However, if you have the experience to state that this is compound die territory then I'll take my expensive/fussy prog die design notions and go sit in the back row to take notes and, hopefully, learn something.

I appreciate your posting your thoughts and experience and do agree that "Knowledge is passed on from one to another. We aren't born with all knowledge." but I was hoping to test the motivation of the OP. I don't know about you but I run into a staggering number of people on internet boards and in life that believe that they're entitled to answers just because they ask. They often don't seek the answers they just seek someone to give them the answers or do the work for them. In the Dark Ages before the internet a newb had to be pretty much spoon fed until they bought a MHB and did some reading, I did back in 1979. It's a different age and information is now at the fingertips of anybody with an internet connection. I expect more effort now because it's available, I still do research on things I don't know (compound die design should be on my list...).

I had a 4th year engineering intern approach me and asked "Where are all the standards for machine tool design?" I plopped my slightly ragged copy of MHB on the desk and pointed to it. She asked "No really, where are they written down?" I told her that's really where they're written down if you selectively look through it. Dejected, she never asked for further guidance on the matter although I would have helped her find it.

Another 4th year engineering intern was asked to come up with a modular approach to welding fixtures for the large tow trucks we made. Several of us gathered for the presentation she made. After identifying how long it took using the current design methods and the number of different fixtures required for each model her Power Point brought us to a standard fixture plate. She proudly announced that she had done a lot of research on the subject.... She was applauded by the 2 engineers in the room. I quietly asked her (to avoid embarrassing her) if she considered how large/expensive that plate would have to be to accommodate a 15 foot frame for welding purposes. Somehow that concept never came to be but that didn't stop her from feeling proud of her solution presentation. The encouragement from the 2 engineers that hadn't made anything with their hands more complicated than a birdhouse only fueled her perception of self worth.

My point? That they need help, badly. Applause for bad ideas is like handing out participation trophies. It denies them the experience from making bad decisions. It's almost like the old joke of where does one get experience? One gains experience from making bad decisions. I also feel that simply handing out answers only serves to reinforce the misguided notion that you don't need to learn anything, you only have to locate someone that knows more than you do. I was hoping the OP would have tried to find the best flavor of AL, guess-timated the tonnage required, and whatever else could be found through research. I even asked for a screen shot of a CAD concept to determine if ANY effort was being made. Somebody in a jam on the job is a different dynamic, they need solutions there isn't time to research. This is a school project for somebody that's going to potentially become an engineer. That's what a school project is partly for, to learn how to find solutions to problems. My questions and lack of any real design help was to reveal whether the OP was genuinely in need of guidance or just another lazy millennial soon to become another useless/arrogant engineer.

My apologies for the long rambling, maybe that's why the interns don't ask me too many questions...:codger:

2 weeks and no further posting from the OP. Another example of why information should not just be handed out for the asking without demonstrating some effort. Lazy wanker.

I am appalled at the number students that come here at the beginning of their project. They should be doing their own research first. At the prelim stage I think our only duty is to tell them where to find the information they need. After they complete a preliminary design then come here for help refining it.

2 weeks and no further posting from the OP. Another example of why information should not just be handed out for the asking without demonstrating some effort. Lazy wanker.

...and no "thank You" for what you all did write (post #7 & 10)....

Back