What's new
What's new

STANDARD TOOL Bevel Protractor #516

AntiqueMac

Hot Rolled
A very scarce Standard Tool Company, Athol Mass, number 516 Bevel Protractor sold on the evening of 7/24/2011 on eBay. I thought some might want to see it. So, here are a few pictures of the one that sold:

StandardTool-BevelPro-516-1.jpg

StandardTool-BevelPro-516-2.jpg

StandardTool-BevelPro-516-4.jpg

StandardTool-BevelPro-516-5.jpg

StandardTool-BevelPro-516-3.jpg

The sale price was $112.50. It was missing the impossible to find rule and the balled locking pin.

And, as I figured, it wold to a collector who specializes in levels. That level is rare. I have two of the protractors with rules and pins, but no level.

And, to think, Rivett found a correct level for his in an antique glassware booth at Renningers in Adamstown, PA, about 20 years ago. But, that fact hasn't p*ssed me off ever!

:cheers:

Hey..... I paid the full price they were asking for it!....... I never could get my self to ask for a better price when the starting price is .50 cents!!!!!!!!!!

"But, that fact hasn't p*ssed me off ever!"..... think Stanley 212.

I may have discussed this with Rivett at one point, but I seem to recall seeing a very similar protactor made by starrett that sold a few years ago on eBay without rule or level. It was marked as starrett, but because I hadn't encountered it before, I had suspected it might have not been real. I later saw an example of it at the Starrett museum in Athol.

Of course, I wish I were the guy that got for less than $40 (I don't have the exact amount). Don't you hate how hindsight is 20/20?

unimat....

I'm not remembering which Starrett bevel protractor you are thinking about. Could it be the short base #12???? I think there is a PM thread here on it somewhere.

During my years at Landon School, we were constantly primed that hindsight, second guessing both can be a real b*tch and were being taught to avoid the mistake.

But, if one doesn't act because of lack of knowledge at the time, that's just unfortunate, bad timing, too bad. If one makes a decision with a poor strategy, like thinking it can be found cheaper, in better condition, or whatever, then big mistake!

My biggest ever hindsight regret involved a mint, drop dead mint, did I say factory floor perfectly new Jennings machinist 4 drawer Walnut tool chest. It was at Knotty Pine Antiques near Keene, NH and two days before a Bittner tool auction in Keene.

That magnificent tool chest, the likes of which I have not seen again in 20+ years was priced at a huge $300. I grabbed it! SWMBO came up and said, "What's that? How much? $300??????? You know the kids need new shoes for school in a week and clothes too. Do you want them going to school barefoot?".

It took me a half an hour to decide, but I put the chest back on the shelf. I rationalized that I could find another at some point, after all, I was young and had time. The lessons at Landon had escaped me!

Decent 4 drawer Jennings chest are quite rare. But, magnificent/mint/stored in a sock drawer, new-old-stock Jennings are not available ever! Except for that very one, and I passed it up!

Just had my 44th wedding anniversary and I still hate the fact the kids got their shoes! Heck, it stayed warm in Silver Spring that year until October! They could have gone to school barefoot.

:cheers:

But think.... if you had bought the chest it would be "used" by now and I would only give you $ 150. for it.......

I don't remember the details about the protractor at Starrett......... damn getting old and walking up all these steps........ it just tires out my brain.

Antiquemac,

I'm pretty sure that the protractor I saw was not a #12 short base (of which I have an example). I recall this protractor having the exact same locking mechanism as the Standard tool example here. It even had the big round locknut in back just like this one.

Ball Locking Pin

I had the pleasure of closely inspecting a BAY STATE BEVEL PROTRACTOR this weekend, and although it had the proper rule, it was missing the BALL SCREW on the side that sets it at 45 degree fixed angles.

The oddest thing is there are TWO HOLES on the side.

If one is for the Ball Plunger Detent Screw, what is the second hole for ?

I think the second hole is to store the ball plunger detent shaft (not a screw on the Standard examples) however that might have been a great idea but in practice it didn’t work, hence so many are missing that part.

The protractor has holes at 45, 0, 45 and 90 degrees. The other hole is deeper and just into the cast iron body.

Attachments

• 02958790-263B-4CE3-A7D4-F9201A3F7BA5.jpg
    02958790-263B-4CE3-A7D4-F9201A3F7BA5.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 121
I think the second hole is to store the ball plunger detent shaft (not a screw on the Standard examples) however that might have been a great idea but in practice it didn’t work, hence so many are missing that part.

The protractor has holes at 45, 0, 45 and 90 degrees. The other hole is deeper and just into the cast iron body.

Makes sense to me.

I've got the #516 in the 12" size. My 1900 catalog shows they made a 9", 12", 18" and 24". Does anyone have (or seen) any of the other sizes? Or better yet, if anyone has a 9" size that you want to part with (even just the head), shoot me a PM...thanks

Attachments

• P1000165_1.JPG
    P1000165_1.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 64
As far as I have seen there were only two sizes of heads, the 9” and 12”, the 18” and 24” used the 12” size head. The longer rules are also very rare.

So 3 months ago I found the level attachment, and 3 weeks after my last post, a tool friend found me the smaller head :)

Attachments

• 244526970_545573513207747_7228834299327052376_n.jpg
    244526970_545573513207747_7228834299327052376_n.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 26
That is great, don't you love it when you find stuff.

I have found about 5 tools that I have been looking for a least 30 years in the past couple weeks. Just crazy. Must be good hunting season?

Me too, haven't left the house. Of course I don't hunt around here as it is a waste of time. Too low odds to find anything let alone something good.

Back