What's new
What's new

Anyone know if cad drawings are available for Howa 1500 series available?

I frequently misunderstand, but this is what I am thinking.
All of the internal dimensions can be taken off the barreled receiver.
All of the external dimensions will depend on your use, body size and desired accessories. Really it's just a gunstock.

Thanks for the reply Kurt....and I frequently don't ask the question as clearly as I should.

I'm really not looking for a specific CAD drawing of the action. I'm just looking for the external dimensions for the barreled receiver so that I can create a CAD drawing for the stock. The internal dimensions are not important for my purposes.

I haven't purchased the barreled action yet. I'm sure it will take me a few months to create the design I have in mind and wanted to get it nailed down before I commit to the purchasing the action. (This approach will also allow the account to recover from the holidays. Keeps me from sleeping on the couch!) I will certainly purchase the action before I start milling the stock.

The end goal is to build a unique looking, light weight .308 sporting rifle, mainly for hunting deer. Not a competitive long range shooter. Both my daughter and nephew are military and hunt with tricked-out AR-10s and, while I like the looks of the rifle, Its quite heavy to lug around the woods.

So, external dimensions are really all I need at the moment.

Thanks again for responding,
Gaylan.

It’s a flat bottomed action similar to a Mauser , not round like a Remington. Your really gonna need it in hand

I considered doing the same thing for another barreled action. After I estimated the time in reverse engineering the action, drawing up a chassis, buying material stock and machining it. I determined it is not even close to being worth it. MDT has ready to go proven chassis for $400. Black Friday they were selling blems for around $200. Unless you are just in need of a project for fun.

Now that I'm semi retired, I spend a lot of time making gun parts. I've learned there just ain't no such thing as a quality free print for a part.

For projects similar to this, just buy the part and use it as a perfect 3D model. Then sell it on gun broker.

... I've learned there just ain't no such thing as a quality free print for a part.
For projects similar to this, just buy the part and use it as a perfect 3D model...

Yeah, that's what I'm learning. Do you have any idea if all Howa 1500 series short actions have the same outside geometry? I've thought of buying a used one at a gun/pawn shop to model off of and then flipping it later. The one I've found isn't threaded for a compensator.

gm

I am not an expert on that particular weapon. But I do know where to get the answer. Join weaponsguild.com forum and ask there.

Karl

Back