What's new
What's new

What does this part on my South Bend 13 do?

Ryanbj

Plastic
I recently purchased a South Bend 13x5 off of eBay and I'm working on cleaning it up and oiling it. I found this spring loaded plug on the gear attached to the spindle and I'm not totally sure what it does. It appears to have different positions that it locks into.
Shared album - Ryan Johnson - Google Photos

Pulling it out allows the pulley to spin freely on the spindle. You do this when engaging the back gears so the spindle can spin slower than the pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is how you release the belt driven pulley on the spindle from the big (bull)gear, so that you can rotate the back gear into place. If you engage the back gears without releasing that pin, the spindle will be locked from rotation. The pin slides towards spindle center to release the gear from the triple pulley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Google South Bend's book "How to Run a Lathe". It will be a great resource for you. You can download it for free from several sites.

Ted

That’s the bull gear release. First step in engaging the back gears to turn slow. Check that oiling port on the pulley surface before you start the machine. Some have been filled with grease others just use oil.just make sure it’s lubricated.

Back