What's new
What's new

NEW Machine Day

D Nelson

Stainless
b3aec254cf15f2152c8af5030b86db87.jpg
73bab2be1e506144c1f17148f8a6372e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice, congratulations! I'm sure a few on here would like to hear details once it is set up and making parts.

What the hell is a grob lol

The one I looked at was a 5 axis mill that could do lathe work on the table about 1 million bucks supposed to be high end machine. We opted for 2 okuma vertical lathes and a Dmg 80 h with a Siemens control
Don

This is a budget deal. Still 238k but this will get the ball rolling. I did look at a grob it was expensive and had a Siemens control I ain’t doing that again!
Don

Oh, my bad, I could have sworn you already had a GROB, that's why I asked. Maybe I've just seen you talk about them before.

What the hell is a grob lol

This is a GROB: YouTube

They're high end, but not super common (AFAIK) 5 axis machines that do really well with tight tolerance large parts, like car wheels, which is what D Nelson does. I swear I've seen him post about them before, I thought he had them in his shop, but I was wrong.

Here's one milling a basketball net: YouTube

Here's another one, just cuz I think they're cool machines: YouTube

And now I'm done derailing the thread.

So is the UMC in addition to the DMC (big DMG machine) or a replacement or a whole different enterprize?

(I hear you on the siemens.... I see the Heidenhain is at least being listed as available on more machines.....)

So is the UMC in addition to the DMC (big DMG machine) or a replacement or a whole different enterprize?

(I hear you on the siemens.... I see the Heidenhain is at least being listed as available on more machines.....)

The Dmg got switched out to a mazak. For the milling on the wheels and 2 okumas vertical twin turret lathes for turning of the wheel forgings which is in Austin Texas making race car wheels. This is a rolls Royce and GE engine division deal for fixtures kind of a new deal for me
Don

So on the C axis I’m trying to set up our post for our machine I thought the c axis was unlimited on rotations do you know if it is ?

believe it is, (if memory serves me right) ~ not like the HAAS 4th axis on a vertical that has to be unwound. Will double check.

BTW (if you don't mind me asking - ) what did you get from MAZAk when you switched out your big DMG rig ?

Also Congrats scoring Rolls Royce / GE fixture gig ! (awesome !).

__________________________________________________________________________________

Specs for the UMC 500 (for example) state 360° degree rotation (on C axis), whereas for the HRT 400 they specify 999.999 ° max increment.

Not sure if yours has direct rotary scales as standard ? I assume they are incremental but not 100% sure how they home or if they have a homing mark / offset. (Hybrid absolute incremental)

Last edited:
Been a while since we had a NMD thread.

Sure is interesting to be hearing all the good about Haas 5x - especially when comparing to other - normally much higher grade MTB's.

Slight side note - I have stood right beside a really big Grobe with a heavy part flipping around in it, and not hear anything, or feel anything in the floor.
(IMTS, so not on ground zero)

I believe those to be the real deal, not that I have ever ran one tho.
Worth it? Wouldn't have a clue....

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Been a while since we had a NMD thread.

Sure is interesting to be hearing all the good about Haas 5x - especially when comparing to other - normally much higher grade MTB's.

Slight side note - I have stood right beside a really big Grobe with a heavy part flipping around in it, and not hear anything, or feel anything in the floor.
(IMTS, so not on ground zero)

I believe those to be the real deal, not that I have ever ran one tho.
Worth it? Wouldn't have a clue....

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

buddy of mine runs a few of them, says nothing but good things, but def pricey.

Back