What's new
What's new

I have a new (to me) Monarch 10EE

ShopShed

Plastic
I picked up a EE off a Purple Wave auction! She sat in a town shop for ten years +-, unused, following a school auction. I got her cheap, mainly due to her appearance. Abandoned, unused, and unmaintained resulted in years of dirt and old oil coagulating on the top surfaces of the machines poor appearance. Her paint peeling off in layers making a mosaic of paint chips. I am looking forward to the tinker time in the ShopShed and making Replica Weapon systems. That is for the future though, for now I need to focus on my machines, which brings me to this forum.
I don't think she suffers internally as everything turns, shifts, and moves freely with no odd noises. The rust on the chucks came off real easy with an Evaporust bath. I cleaned the grime off with a WD-40 sponge bath. Now it's time to strip all the paint layers off and renew what I think is the original color. I contacted Monarch and asked for info. All I received was a little hand written message; Color, not recorded, Elec. Diagram EE-3216, Original Owner - GE Cincinnati Ohio, and shipped in 1951. Not much info but it's a beginning. Where the Monarch badge came off was Hammered Steel paint I am assuming is original.
I am not at all an expert, not even an apprentice of machine tear down and repair so I am sure I will have numbers of questions. I have four lathes and am honing my ability on many basic skills. Looking forward, from here there is no other direction.

Jim
EY9252.jpgEY9252.jpgEY9252L.jpgEY9252L.jpg

Accusize 8 piece tool holder set, a bunch of collets, several HSS cutters, and two carbide cutters with extra inserts. I'm looking forward to making chips. Sorry about the delay in responding, I'm new to this forum thing. I'm trying to figure it out. I've gone and picked up a new (to me) turret lathe and have been tinkering with it too.

I'm at the north end of Perry Lake, about 20 miles north of Topeka. It'd be a great place if it weren't for the taxes. PW is like any other auction site. I've been fairly lucky so far. She is cleaning up really nice. Everything looks good so far with the machine. I need to get her some electricity now.
Sorry about the delay in responding, I'm just learning this forum stuff. I don't even have a smart phone.

Great scoop. You got one of the first square dial machines.

There's a real good chance it was set aside because the drive died. That's the weak spot on these machines. The steel will last forever.

If you have the aptitude for electrical repair, there's plenty of experts here on this site to help you find the way.

If you're not into that, there is another great option. Replace the drive with a three phase motor and VFD. A sub option from here is whether to go with a small motor and keep the back gear, or just get a 10hp 3 phase motor.

I've had my 10EE 20 years now. I went with option A for about two years. Pulled all my hair out with frustration.

VFDs were super expensive in the late 90s so I went with a 5hp 3 phase motor and kept the backgear. It has worked wonderfully without one hiccup.

Today, VFD prices have come way down. I'd suggest a ten horse VFD and 3 phase motor - no back gear.

Just my two cents. many have choose another option.

Get some pics up as she gets cleaned up. Hopefully the drive is ok. I'm sure that'll clean up nicely.

The original Motor Generator system was not unreliable. it simply needed a squirt of grease twice a year and inspect the brushes for wear, and replace them before they got too short and started arcing and burning the commuter.

People to day don't understand generators,, used to be all cars and trucks had them, then in the 1960's alternators came along, Used to be there were generator and starter repair shops in every town. Today, you turn in your old starter or alternator for core, and you get a new one.

So once anything goes 'wrong' with an MG drive, then everyone throws their arms into the air and give up.. and go with the latest and not so greatest..
An AC mother with a vid will not usually have the low end torque needed to make chips and maintain proper steady speed.
'
Anyway,, best bet is to read the stickies on this forum, Cal has done an admirable job of getting plenty of information for testing, diagnosing and repairing the MG drives. In general they are reliable, simple, repairable, and worth keeping up and using.
It is hard to beat the low rpm torque of a big old DC motor.

DualValve

The last school lot I won everything operated as it should. I have my hopes up about this one. The electrical looks like it's all solenoids and relays, I'm thinking it was reworked at General Electric before going to the military. I'll try to add some pictures of it; lets see here...

Now that's funny there!

I don't plan on her being dead, just ticked off about being ignored for so many years. She's dirty inside and out. I plan to spend a day or two putting her in a shinny new dress and trying to make her pretty enough to work on. I hope we have a long lasting relationship. :D:D:DIMG_1430.jpg

Back