What's new
What's new

cargo trailer, removing ramp

Bill D

Diamond
On a standard box cargo trailer with a spring loaded rear ramp what is involved with getting the ramp out of the way so an engine hoist can reach into trailer and pick up a heavy machine? That seems easier then trying to roll it up a weak ramp into the trailer or out at the other end. The ramp would probably have to be blocked and reinforced so it does not buckle or tip the trailer on end.
Of course a trailer with swing doors would be the answer but they are few and far between here. Most I see for sale have ramps not doors.
Bill D.

Do the load and hoist reach allow you to grab it from the side of the rear opening, and then drive the trailer away (picking up the ramp) in order to lower the load? Hoist legs would go under door and trailer, at an angle.

Otherwise contact the mfg. for specific guidance -- including how they would make a removable door. Note, I've used un-sprung ramp doors up to 6' x 6' without too much trouble. Don't want to be under it if it falls, of course...

As a cargo trailer owner, my advice is build some long fork extensions, or get a different trailer. Without making a whole day job of it, I see no way to remove the ramp, hinges are all welded, maybe if you had a special order trailer with a quick release door it would be easier.

Anything heavy enough one would need a hoist to pick up would likely find its way through the floor of many cargo trailers. A horse trailer mught be better.

Second on the welded hinges.

Unwind springs,
Cut, grind, drill, or smash the pins off
Taduh, it falls on your toes.

If you are really considering it just unwind the springs and see how heavy it is. I have replaced individual hinges, no fun

Thanks for the information. Sounds like a ramp is out. Horse trailers also come with ramps or swing doors.
I have been asking about trailers because I am planning to move in about one year. Plan is to rent a box truck with lift gate for most stuff and a smaller trailer for the rest.
Bil lD

Back