What's new
What's new

OT - I have 4 McMaster Catalogs That Need a New Home (with a catch!)

welderjosh

Aluminum
Four McMaster Carr books here that I need to get off my desk. I'm not a sucker though so these aren't free. I will send them to you and even cover the shipping but there's a catch. When you get it you have to ship me back something of equal value to what it cost me to ship it to you. No other parameters other than the $8-10 value. Let the game begin!

McMaster.jpg

I will play, if the 126 is still available, I will find you some cool stuff to send you. Sometimes stuff is more fun than money.
PM’s are not working correct for me at this time. Vcorser At Pld.com

I've always wondered at what page does a 22lr boolit stop at ?____:crazy:

That is one of the few things I haven't shot. I know a .22 LR won't go through a typical PC hard drive. .357 goes through easily. I never understood people wanting those catalogs in today's world. McMaster's website is the gold standard. I could understand wanting the catalogs back in the day as they didn't give them away to any Joe Schmo who wanted one. I had to get hand me downs from a friend whose company bought $10k+ a month from them. My $100-$500 a month didn't get me a catalog. In the will call area at the Los Angeles area location they had the catalogs hooked to a long metal bench with cables you could have towed a car with. They are pretty thick, I wonder how much they cost to print?

That is one of the few things I haven't shot. I know a .22 LR won't go through a typical PC hard drive. .357 goes through easily. I never understood people wanting those catalogs in today's world. McMaster's website is the gold standard. I could understand wanting the catalogs back in the day as they didn't give them away to any Joe Schmo who wanted one. I had to get hand me downs from a friend whose company bought $10k+ a month from them. My $100-$500 a month didn't get me a catalog. In the will call area at the Los Angeles area location they had the catalogs hooked to a long metal bench with cables you could have towed a car with. They are pretty thick, I wonder how much they cost to print?
Dualkit gets out gun, along with old catalog, heads out back door of shop.....:D

Hmm, I might be persuaded to get in the game. It seems that there needs to be a little negotiation with it though. Something worth $8-$10 TO YOU? It hardly seems fair to swap something you have absolutely no use for. OTOH, an out of date catalog on your desk might have exactly that much value.

It hardly seems fair to swap something you have absolutely no use for. OTOH, an out of date catalog on your desk might have exactly that much value.

There are people who will sell their souls to the devil for those catalogs. Even if no value to the OP they have value to other people. That makes them worth what the market will bear.

One simple reason that I have a McMaster catalog is that the cell/wireless reception inside the shop is terrible. If I had good cell/wireless inside the shop, I’d use the phone app or website and call it good.

There are people who will sell their souls to the devil for those catalogs. Even if no value to the OP they have value to other people. That makes them worth what the market will bear.

They have an warehouse in my backyard, and will not give an catalog to anyone who sells anything that they sell. They view it as feeding their competitors?

Of course it has value, but it's not an intrinsic value - it's the value to an individual. So, yeah, it would be valuable to me because I find a lot of education in just paging around, finding things I might not have known to look for. That's my value. So what's the value of something i send him in exchange? Completely undefined unless/until he says what value an object might have for him.

Though, for purposes of pure entertainment value, he might be willing to stand the cost of shipping four books and then being amused by what comes back in the mail.

Here's a tidbit I found out.Current catalog/website part numbers aren't the only available stock items.
There was a time when I was buying a metric undersized dowel pin.
One year in a new catalog the category disappears.
I thought I was screwed as they were "specials" from other suppliers.
I called McMasterr and asked if they could fwd the vendor contact info as I still needed them.
They told me as long as I have the part number, I can still order them.
So there is that rare occasion an old catalog will work.
I buy an avg of $200/month and I still get the new catalog each year.

I'm also curious what the trades end up generating

Dualkit gets out gun, along with old catalog, heads out back door of shop.....:D

I am from the stone age, just like using print catalogs, I can write my little foot notes on the pages with references to all kind of things. Computers are great, hell I am using one to write this. That said I probably have a thousand pounds of catalogs in the office at any given time. More then once the old catalogs have came through for various reasons.

I am from the stone age, just like using print catalogs, I can write my little foot notes on the pages with references to all kind of things. Computers are great, hell I am using one to write this. That said I probably have a thousand pounds of catalogs in the office at any given time. More then once the old catalogs have came through for various reasons.
Good For You !
Here's your participation sticker....:nutter:

I don't understand the real value of a McMaster catalog, to paraphrase - their website is tits! :D
Now other vendors, sometimes (ok more than 50% probably) their website is crap with a generic contact form and a few purty pictures, that is when a catalog is really handy.

I don't understand the real value of a McMaster catalog, to paraphrase - their website is tits! :D
Now other vendors, sometimes (ok more than 50% probably) their website is crap with a generic contact form and a few purty pictures, that is when a catalog is really handy.

When you know what you are looking for, website is unbeatable

When you are trying to figure out what is possible, catalog is better

As you get older/more experienced, you tend to have a tighter handle on what is available and thus perhaps the website is more usaful

I rarely use the catalog, but like having it

Here's a tidbit I found out.Current catalog/website part numbers aren't the only available stock items.
There was a time when I was buying a metric undersized dowel pin.
One year in a new catalog the category disappears.
I thought I was screwed as they were "specials" from other suppliers.
I called McMasterr and asked if they could fwd the vendor contact info as I still needed them.
They told me as long as I have the part number, I can still order them.
So there is that rare occasion an old catalog will work.
I buy an avg of $200/month and I still get the new catalog each year.

I'm also curious what the trades end up generating

How long have you got catalogs only spending $200 a month? Uline has been sending me 2 catalogs a year and I haven't bought from them in a dozen years, of course their catalogs are 20% of the weight of a McMaster one if that. I use to live close to a ULINE location when I played Dualkit and did a lot of shipping. I use to buy boxes by the pallet. Now using mostly flat rate boxes I may buy a dozen boxes a year.

Uline sends me at least 2 catalogs a year I feel like, and I don't recall EVER buying from them. I wish they would stop...

I would be curious to learn if the scarcity of the McMaster catalog was created solely by a marketing position. If so I would say good on them, as it certainly lends to the image of being the elite industrial supply.

Back