What's new
What's new

Sidney lathe

Hi Doug,

Yes, I have a manual in pdf format or individual scans. The manual is for my machine, a 1944 Sidney 14 in. My s/n is 7774, and the machine was formerly owned by the U.S. Navy.

Why don't you post some pics of your machine? I would love to see it. Is yours a spur gear (12 speed) or herringbone gear (16 speed) head? There are a few of us on here that own similar vintage 14 in. Sidneys.

The pdf is 57 megabytes though. I don't think most email services will take such a large attachment. The alternative is that I can send you individual scans in jpg format, high resolution. If your email can take 10 Mbytes of attachments I can send about 3 or 4 pages of scans at a time. Let me know.

See attached image for an example (at reduced resolution).

4439105748_37c71a6b32_b.jpg

I also have a few brochures, although I have not finished scanning them all:

4805754960_41177cfcee_b.jpg

Regards,

Mike Muha

Hey Mike

Yes I'd appreciate the PDF file it should go through.

Here are some pics, also Included pic of my Gorton 3-48 monster

Attachments

• IMG_3352.jpg
    IMG_3352.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_3356.jpg
    IMG_3356.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 900
  • IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 783
  • IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 847
email address?

Hi Doug - Please PM me your email address and I'll send the manual - one way or another - to you. Thanks for posting the photos! A good cleanup and a nice coat of paint and the Sidney will look like new!

Here's one of mine:

4403481976_9086cb352d.jpg

Mike Muha

b2major9th - I too would like anything you might have on Sidney lathe. I will PM you with my e-mail address.

Thanks a bunch!

Anything for another Sidney owner! There aren't many of us so we have to help each other out whenever possible.

Regards,

Mike Muha

Sidney Lathe

Hi Doug
I have a 1941 14X30 Sidney # 6654
Mike was good to send me a copy of his manual, and its just what you,ll need to keep your Sidney maintained. Copys such as this arn,t easy to come by. So much infro in Mikes manual, I m sure it only helps keep these old boys alive.

Good to see another Sidney lives on!

Paul

I know it is a very old thread but I need a manual for a 1945 Sidney lathe if anyone has a copy pls. Any copy circa 1940s of Sidney gear head lathe is ok

Hello Mike, is there a chance you still have a copy of your Sidney manual? I would like one as well thanks

Hello,

I just bought a 1942 14" Sidney that came off of a naval ship. Does anyone know how I could track down that ship. I have the serial number.

Thank you,

Who ever ended up with Bu Ord records. I'll assume Bureau of Ordnance because they bought these machine tools mentioned here

A bunch of my Ames accessories (dividing head, chucks, face plates, collets, etc) are engraved "USN BU. ORD.", so the gummint bought some, but I'm not sure when.

Hello,
I have been doing a little research on Sidney lathes, and parts are still available. I spoke with a gentleman at Pittsburg Foundry and Machine, and they own the rights to the prints. They are stored in a warehouse about an hour away, but they can make/sell parts and prints.
Joe

...Yes, I have a (Sidney) manual in pdf format or individual scans. The manual is for my machine, a 1944 Sidney.I also have a few brochures, although I have not finished scanning them all:
Regards, Mike Muha

Hi Mike, I recently put up this about Sidney. http://www.lathes.co.uk/sidney
Your comments very welcome. The catalogs are spead over several pages and some are at a reasonably high resolution - so may take time to download on a slow connection. If anybody has Sidney catalogs from other times - especially pre-1940 and can provide high-resolution scans, I'll be delighted to add them to the Archive. If the files are large, an excellent way of transfering them is to use wetransfer.com It's free and easy to use. Just use my regular email address: [email protected]. My thanks, Tony.

Last edited:
Tony, Thanks for adding Sidney to the archive. I was researching these lathes a couple weeks ago and couldn't find anything. Interesting That Andre Citroen bought the patents for herringbone gears. You've done it again!

I know this thread is quite elderly, but did anyone PM b2maj9th to let h. Know the front sight window is just to see that the oil is flowing and not a level indicator? How was oil not just running right out thru the spindle bearings!?

Tony, thanks for the Sidney page. Our people have gone unrepresented long enough lol. Somewhere here on PM I kinda stole a thread and posted my Sidney 16" restoration, but can't find it.

Thanks Tony for the information...I just purchased a 1943 16" and all the information is much appreciated. It sat in the weather the last 2 years, but other than some surface rust and a couple of broken handles it looks really good. I'll take the rest of the covers off tomorrow and have a closer look, but I believe I found a good one.Resized_20171122_135454_2 (620x465).jpgIMAG2000 (620x351).jpgIMAG2004 (620x351).jpgSidneyLathe-0730Dec2017 (620x413).jpg

Back