What's new
What's new

Looking for a 3/8” cordless ratchet with body mounted direction control.

Chris Attebery

Cast Iron
I've been thinking about buying a 3/8" cordless ratchet to use on the drawbar on my milling machine. I need one that I can operate with one hand (on/off, loosen/tighten) while I hold the spindle brake. I've looked around but I haven't found one that looks like it would be easy to use in this manner. Right now I'm using a Craftsman 3/8" pear head type ratchet. I can flip the direction lever with my thumb. Anyone here have any suggestions?

A power drawbar is the better way to go but companies like Kurt want your first born. Granted, those types work well but let me say this...the inexpensive ones you see all over Ebay work almost as well, much better than a box end wrench. I've had one of the Ebay units on my clone for 10 years + and it still works fine.

Stuart

Try a cordless impact driver. Much more common and plenty of torque. Adapters for sockets are readily available. Most folks nowadays already have one.

The Maxi TorqueRite drawbar is pretty cheap. Firstborn? Hardly. They're like $500 or so. Most people spend more on eating out in 6 months. If $500 is 'epic' money to you, you shouldn't be machining. Stick to the Black and Decker cordless drill you got for $39.

H&M Machinery will sell you one with great service. It'll last longer than you will.

The Maxi TorqueRite drawbar is pretty cheap. Firstborn? Hardly. They're like $500 or so. Most people spend more on eating out in 6 months. If $500 is 'epic' money to you, you shouldn't be machining. Stick to the Black and Decker cordless drill you got for $39.

H&M Machinery will sell you one with great service. It'll last longer than you will.

whom are you talking to?
nobody used the word " epic ".
nobody was talking about the Maxi Torquerite at $ 500.

Not be the safety nazi, but I'd really hate for my wrist to be in a goofy position when I activated that thing.

In my intro to engineering course way back when (2004) we did some sample unit conversion stuff. The problem that stuck in mind was converting the torque produced by a cordless drill and the torque required to break a wrist from some obscure units into a common unit, probably n-m, to find that it will indeed break your wrist if you assume the values were true.

Having used modern cordless tools, like an M18 Fuel drill, I won't be doing empirical research to disprove their numbers.

As the name implies an "impact" wrench uses a hammering mechanism to tighten and loosen stuff. Doesn't twist your arm much at all. It's not like a screwdriver at all.

The ordinary cordless impact screwdriver will probably generate enough torque to do up a drawbar. I tried a Makita 18 volt NiCAD version on my Bridgeport drawbar. Verifying undo torque using an indicating torque wrench proved that it was easily capable of hitting the Bridgeport specified torque after a few seconds of rattling.

The Makita instruction book had a graph of tightening torque against running time. As I recall things about 25 seconds of rattle to reach the specified maximum, about 50 Nm. Unfortunately I sold the drill and impact driver set and moved over to L-I tools so no longer have details. Reaction forces were small and it was quite practical to hold it on the Bridgeport drawbar with one hand despite the uncomfortable height.

I do have a proper Makita 18 V battery powered 1/2" square drive impact wrench. The most powerful one they make. That has a serious kick to it. Essential to hold it firm and lean into the job. Far too powerful for a drawbar.

The Makita 18V DLT061 1/4 hex drive angle impact screwdriver runs up to 60 Nm - 44 ftlb and should be up to the job. Various suffixes and prefixes to the 061 number depending on whats in the kit.

The Makita 10.8 V CXT Tl065DZ 3/8 square drive angle impact wrench also runs up to 60 nm - 44 ft lb and will be both lighter and quicker as you won't need to leave it rattling like the impact screwdriver.
The 18 V version doesn't go any higher, which surprises me.

clive

To utilize one of the "drill" style impacts or drivers, you would either have to be 9 feet tall or your mill will have to be 3 feet tall.:eek:

Methinks this is why the OP requested a ratchet configuration with body mounted FWD/REV control.

Stuart

I went to Lowe's and looked at the DeWalt impact wrenches since I already have a 20v battery and charger. I found this 3/8" compact impact. It weighs about the same as a cordless ratchet.

I found it was a lot cheaper on Amazon so I ordered it.

DEWALT 20V MAX XR Cordless Impact Wrench, 3/8-Inch, Tool Only (DCF890B) - - Amazon.com

0acd18a422124550f1a8b78175c0f69f.jpg

The top of my unmentionable machine is right at eye level. ;^)

To utilize one of the "drill" style impacts or drivers, you would either have to be 9 feet tall or your mill will have to be 3 feet tall.:eek:

Methinks this is why the OP requested a ratchet configuration with body mounted FWD/REV control.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuart
Or you can trigger the impact overhead with your thumb.

Stand in front of machine.
Click heals together.
Extend arm above head.
Locate socket.
Shout 'Heil Impact' and rattle away.

Back