What's new
What's new

Becker 2A Jig Bore with Bridgeport head

T-Man 1066

Aluminum
Today I brought home a Becker 2A jig bore. It came with a Bridgeport head ser. # R242. From what I believe I know, the head was made in 1939, Bridgeport Pattern & Model Works. The head is stationary, but the spindle housing moves up and down with the handle. No quill. It has a steep taper spindle, probably 40 degrees included angle with a 7/16 thread on the drawbar. Would the Bridgeport head have been original to the Becker Mill? The install looks factory, but I could not find anything confirming it on line. Has anybody seen or have one of these machines? And was it a partnership between Bridgeport and Becker?
BECKER 2A MILL 1.jpgBECKER 2A MILL 2.jpgBECKER 2A MILL BP HEAD.jpg

I am thinking that the Bridgeport head is a shop made add on using the motor , v belt and pulley system to drive the original Becker spindle shown here but perhaps you are right that the the complete unit was added on .
I don’t remember seeing one like that before.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...er-article-october1890-american-bookmaker.jpg
There is lots of Becker Information in this thread where the above was posted in case you haven’t seen it .
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-help-date-my-becker-360109/?highlight=Becker
There have been other Becker machines featured in threads on this forum so if you try a forum search for Becker something more may turn up.
Jim

Yep, that is what I thought as well. I will try to get a pic tonight of the head mounting, as it looks well done, an actual casting that bolts into the colummn where the flat belt system used to bolt to. Also want to put up a pic of the collet, as I still cannot identify it. I may end up making my own, but my OD grinder will not grind that much taper.

^ That would by my guess is that they adapted the top half of a BP head to replace the original
I thought about that too. The top half says "R" which means R head that uses R-8 collets but has no extending quill. The quill extends so, 3 choices. MT #2. B&S #7 or B#3.
Maybe I got this backwards but if it works, it does. Somebody else did this.
The motors are really heavy and don't ship well when attached. Sometimes it works and sometimes the whole case is cracked. Tig is the only way and we've seen that.

Ok, here are a couple pics of the mount. It is a casting, looks like it was made for this mill, same contour as the top of the column.

Also, I included a pic of the collet. It is 20 degree included taper, with 7/16"-20 thread. The small end is .625", the other end has been end-user bored for 3/4" with a set screw for a Weldon flat. The endmill bore is owner modified,but the taper and the ID of the spindle are either original, or very nicely modified. I have no idea what taper this is.
BECKER 2A MILL 3.jpgBECKER 2A MILL 4.jpgBECKER 2A MILL COLLET.jpg

Ok, here are a couple pics of the mount. It is a casting, looks like it was made for this mill, same contour as the top of the column.

Also, I included a pic of the collet. It is 20 degree included taper, with 7/16"-20 thread. The small end is .625", the other end has been end-user bored for 3/4" with a set screw for a Weldon flat. The endmill bore is owner modified,but the taper and the ID of the spindle are either original, or very nicely modified. I have no idea what taper this is.
View attachment 278750View attachment 278751View attachment 278752
I don't own anything with a "Jarno" taper but they were used. WAG.

Back