What's new
What's new

Ryerson metals......hurting for business or just new policy to be annoying?

dkmc

Diamond
What's up with Ryerson these days?
Haven't heard from them in decades, now since about October a different sales dude calls every week. I let the machine answer but now it's getting annoying as I've never been able to deal with them in the small quantities I would buy. The sales guys promise the world, "no order too small"......until you give them an RFQ, Then the prices are way out of sight high, and/or they pull the $120 set in stone delivery fee. About the same as Klein steel.

I've had few more calls from them lately too...............I throw them a bone once in a while and see what kinda numbers they offer.................always high or high and not in stock.......................

I just got a call from them yesterday asking for my email to send me their contact info. I wonder if they changed their sales staff pay to a more commission based model?

Last time I went through them it was due to Coast not having the tube I needed in a brushed finish. Then when the Ryerson order showed up it was on a 3rd party truck with a bunch of steel stock, and been beat to shit. Had to re-finish all the parts myself anyway.

Ryerson just bought out Fry steel.
fry has been alright, a bit of a rip off on sawing, but next day service and no minimums.
Sounds like all that's about to change

Ryerson just bought out Fry steel.
fry has been alright, a bit of a rip off on sawing, but next day service and no minimums.
Sounds like all that's about to change

That sucks, for you that is, as I am no longer in So Cal. Eventually I am sure Fry Steel will slowly become Ryersonized. As to the OP's question I seem to get a voicemail from Ryerson a couple times a month. My issue with them was they did not deliver and had a $150 minimum order even for cash will calls. Their billing was a joke also. Separate charges depending on where the material came from. Sometimes an order could generate 3 separate bills. They also were erratic charging my credit card, it ranged from immediate to one time it took them 18 months. Typical it was a couple weeks, even if was all in stock. I don't think I have bought from them in a couple years.

Ryerson changed here in Georgia years ago. Used to be cut lengths no problem but they changed that and now if you dont order enough metal you have to pick it up. Need a bar cut in half, the cut charge can be more than the cost of the bar (on the small bars I buy). I have had them quote me as much as $8 a pound on aluminum, McMaster Carr doesnt even charge that much. Six years ago I would order from them regularly, have not placed an order since. Even though they are only a few miles from me I wont use them anymore.

Used to be you had a dedicated agent who worked there but they stopped doing that years ago. Still get calls from someone different all the time, I get them to quote something but they are to high. Better prices from online metals plus paying UPS. I am sure if I ordered a truckload of heavy bar they would be ok. Sawing large plate will still be a good price if you buy enough of it. But I just dont need that kind of lot sizes.

Charles

I get the calls occasionally. But when I send RFQ, half the time I get no response. When I do its crazy high. They screwed me big time last year. Was supossed to deliver some matl in about a week. A day or so after it was supposed to arrive I emailed and they said it would be another week! Matl was going to arrive after job was due! Ordered more from someone else and it arrived before the Ryerson stuff did.

That ticks me off. Not using them unless I have to. Eff em

Another thing. Takes a day or 2 to get a matl quote. Why? This is Houston. Oil country. We dont do things in weeks and months. Its hours and days. My customers want quotes back next day at latest. I know its different in most of the rest of the world but not here.

I do have one supplier that sends quotes back within 15 min tyically. I do my part and add in their numbers and send it. Usually within hours of RFQ. If I get it, I send PO and matl is ready next morning. So guess who I use whenever I can?

Now, if I could make some money doing this, it would be REAL nice...

Another thing. Takes a day or 2 to get a matl quote. Why? This is Houston. Oil country. We dont do things in weeks and months. Its hours and days. My customers want quotes back next day at latest. I know its different in most of the rest of the world but not here.

I do have one supplier that sends quotes back within 15 min tyically. I do my part and add in their numbers and send it. Usually within hours of RFQ. If I get it, I send PO and matl is ready next morning. So guess who I use whenever I can?

Now, if I could make some money doing this, it would be REAL nice...

When I call for a quote, I get it right now. This is with Jorgensen, RHW, North American Metals, Farmers Copper, O'Neal Steel, Action Stainless. Ryerson (Dallas) usually within an hour. And they are usually too high.

The consensus here is Ryerson is either too expensive or has other issues. It looks like the average PM member isn't their target audience. Claiming to have approximately 100 locations they have to be making someone happy. I wonder what type core customer keeps them in business? Do they mostly survive off selling sheet metal, rebar and girders to the construction industry?

The consensus here is Ryerson is either too expensive or has other issues. It looks like the average PM member isn't their target audience. Claiming to have approximately 100 locations they have to be making someone happy. I wonder what type core customer keeps them in business? Do they mostly survive off selling sheet metal, rebar and girders to the construction industry?

I think that may be it..................lots of sheet, plate and black iron........................

Ryerson Was a good supplyer years ago in seattle area but first there service went down hill then there prices got jacked up ,,, Last time I called them on some full sheets of 1/2" plate there price was more than double of Coast or Brelco ...

Maybe they're one of those companies that give ridiculous high prices because of the "really good deal" they'll give you if you "open an account and buy a lot" ?
I hate those...

Watch them on substitutions as well. Our local one has taken to quoting you whats closest to what they have, not what you requested in writing. I have no problem with this if there's a big substitution note on it because sometimes a slightly different size aluminum stock will work fine for a machined parts, etc. The other day a sent them an RFQ for 10 sticks of 6063 2in square .250 wall among some other stuff. They send me back the quote with 2x2 .120 wall and no mention anywhere of a substitution. I would figure this is a mistake but they have done this a couple of times changing the size of extrusion, etc.

I concur with most of the comments regarding Ryerson and small quantities, but they get competitive with 5000.00 individual orders or large monthly customers. I have been in Ryerson in Phoenix and industrial metals has been in there picking up material. I can buy 1 length from ind. Cheaper than I can from reyerson even though that is where it came from.

Back