What's new
What's new

9A inner thrust bearing

animal12

Hot Rolled
I'm chasing a chatter problem on my 9A & pulled the spindle yesterday to clean out the shim slot's .when I did teh rebuild , new felts, & cleanup & paint I did the outer thrust bearing upgrade . I'm wondering if the inner thrust bearing could be out of spec , I didn't replaced it when I did the rebuild , could it be adding anything to my chatter problem ? have folks been replacing the inner thrust bearing ? if so with a like ball bearing , or upgrading to a needle bearing of sorts ?
tks
animal

you should have a 3 piece ball thrust bearing now..(two grooved races, cage w the balls)

there is nothing i would consider an upgrade to the original arrangement.
you can replace it with a new one....but the originals are pretty tough if clean and no visible damage and rolls freely without roughness.

I replaced my fiber washer with a hardened washer, radial roller bearing and another hardened washer. It made a big difference in the right to left movement of the spindle because the take up nut nut can be tighter. I wish I had written down the order number for the parts but someone else will likely be able to provide them. It is the best low cost up grade to a South Bend 9" lathe there is.

I recently purchased 3 sets for some of my 9A and 10Ks. Here’s the McMaster Carr info:

d4d966df5e87604027de5889aaf9411d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back