What's new
What's new

A pet pev that realy pss me off,

Phil in Montana

Stainless
Today I had one of them calls, a friend of a friend calls up up borrow a special tap, in this case a 1/2 British pipe tap, I was the Lister Petter dealer for Montana so I did indeed had one. I told the guy that I had one but he would have to order one thru us and I would give him the shops tap and I would keep the new one when it came in. That was not good for him as he had already bought (ordered) a tap from the other machine shop in town and only wanted to use ours because he was in a hurry and was broke down, also he wanted to take my tap to them for the tapping ,as he didn't know how to tap. Even as rough and tough this sight is I can not repeat what I told the low life sob.But no tap for him.... Is this common, I seam to get a lot of this...Phil

Last edited:
Jeez, as a good fellow you should have taken the tap to this third party and done the tapping yourself (to make sure it was correct). What sort of unfeeling animal are you??!

[/sarcasm]

What the hell happened to: Do not ever ask to borrow a consumable item. If you borrow a tool (ball peen hammer, 72" micrometer, etc...) once, if you need it a second time: Go Buy "the tool."

Damn... I am a Grumpy Old Man. LOL.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

My favourite would be....'We dont lend tools,company policy,...but ,try that guy over the road ,hes got everything'...then 'I was sent from over the road to borrow a tool'.........And also ,the company truck split a fuel filter very near our contract mechanics.....I pulled into their drive ,filter was jammed tight ,so I asked the mechanic for a big set of multigrips....."No way ,he says ,dont loan tools"....'Were customers' 'Nope'....When I told the boss,its "No more work for them ,never,never"...Next the mechanic shop owner is on the phone...."nope ,no more work."

I’m done lending shit out. Every time I let someone borrow something:
A) I have to go hunt it down the next time I need it.
B) it comes back AFU.
I lent a brand new pressure washer (I never even used it) to my new at the time neighbor (I just moved in) he brings it back all covered in mud and the gas tank was full of water.

I lent a bench top drill press to another neighbor and he brings it back “it stopped working”- I look at it and the power cord is all melted to the motor. Turns out he had it under his truck and was trying to drill 3/4” holes thru the frame. The motor fired because it never could get off the start winding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I rarely lend out my own stuff unless it's to family or a good friend. It's not that I'm a tight wad with my stuff (.... well IMO:drink:), I just question the mentality of it. It's kinda like a bum asking your for a buck though. If you offer to help them instead of just giving them a tool, they'll either be glad for your help and friendship and nobody breaks anything and everyone is happy, or they say 'never-mind' because they were just looking for a freebie.

Maybe it's just because I grew up in a shop, but I don't remember every being in such a pinch that I was driving around looking to borrow a tool. I could either buy it, rent it, make it, or hack it. If I couldn't do any of that, I'd question if I should really be doing the job in the first place.

I'm so confused.

This dude needed a tap because he had already bought a tap from the place that needed the tap
to do the thing he needed done.

I need a better explanation before I can get all cranked up about shitty customers.

When I worked with my dad we almost never borrowed anything because we were very well equipped. But if we did we always returned it better than it came. Once it was a 6” pipe threader and dad had me clean the greasy mess and the box. When I returned it the guy flipped open the box and looked in. He smiled and said “What else would you like to borrow?”

The guy ordered the new tap from the other shop, but would not be in for 4 days , so he didn't have the tap until next week, so want me to bail him ou,tBut give the paying job to the other shop...Phil

I was hanging a gate in front of the shop one nice spring day and here comes a pickup roaring in the driveway ( we have no signs and do not advertise as a machine shop ) some guy I have never seen before in my life gets out, walks over near me and sets this fist size part on the picnic table between him and I. He stated that the shop in town had had it for a week and didn't fix it, I told him I don't fix old stuff, I make new stuff, he said he would be back in a couple of hours. Long about quitting time he came back and asked for his part, I told him it was just where he left it and he went off like Yosomite Sam, I told him that if I wanted assholes to walk in off the street I would have hung out a shingle, then I walked over and picked it up off the table then tossed it in the river, pointed at the road and invited him to leave my property. Some folks have a real high opinion of their importance that I sometimes fail to recognize.

When I worked with my dad we almost never borrowed anything because we were very well equipped. But if we did we always returned it better than it came. Once it was a 6” pipe threader and dad had me clean the greasy mess and the box. When I returned it the guy flipped open the box and looked in. He smiled and said “What else would you like to borrow?”

Wife of a friend of mine(she's a friend too), many moons ago shortly after they got married, and possibly just before, borrowed her grandmothers cast iron turkey roasting pan for her first thanksgiving.

She was so nice she didn't even comment on how gross it was, and spent forever scrubbing the gross blackness off the CAST IRON pan, and was pleased as punch when she brought back a SHINY, SILVER cast iron pan to her grandmother. :dopeslap:

Wife of a friend of mine(she's a friend too), many moons ago shortly after they got married, and possibly just before, borrowed her grandmothers cast iron turkey roasting pan for her first thanksgiving.

She was so nice she didn't even comment on how gross it was, and spent forever scrubbing the gross blackness off the CAST IRON pan, and was pleased as punch when she brought back a SHINY, SILVER cast iron pan to her grandmother. :dopeslap:

I cannot even imagine how much elbow grease that would take. :eek: Can you even be mad about that...? :crazy:

A brother-in-law needed a chain saw......I delivered it to him with a new chain and bar gassed up ready to go. He tries to start it and yanks the cord out of the saw. I fixed it on the tailgate of my truck, then He calls back the darn thing doesn’t cut a straight line. I asked how close were you cutting to the ground and he answered “below flush”.......:angry:

Needless to say I learned the hard way:nutter:

My wife and I went to a dutch oven demonstration last weekend, and when someone asked the instructor if she ever loaned someone her dutch-ovens, she jokingly said she would rather buy them a new one instead.

I'm so confused.

This dude needed a tap because he had already bought a tap from the place that needed the tap
to do the thing he needed done.

I need a better explanation before I can get all cranked up about shitty customers.

Yeah. That sounded to me like the story that should have ended with, "So I went over, tapped his hole, and billed him like he was working out of the Pope's own bank account!"

my favorite is after taking the time to explain how to do the job in question the proper way, without borrowing my tool, (which wouldn't have been the right thing), "you are not a good neighbor"....!

Today I had one of them calls, a friend of a friend calls up up borrow a special tap, in this case a 1/2 British pipe tap, I was the Lister Petter dealer for Montana so I did indeed had one. I told the guy that I had one but he would have to order one thru us and I would give him the shops tap and I would keep the new one when it came in. That was not good for him as he had already bought (ordered) a tap from the other machine shop in town and only wanted to use ours because he was in a hurry and was broke down, also he wanted to take my tap to them for the tapping ,as he didn't know how to tap. Even as rough and tough this sight is I can not repeat what I told the low life sob.But no tap for him.... Is this common, I seam to get a lot of this...Phil

For every ant there are a lot of grasshoppers.

I was hanging a gate in front of the shop one nice spring day and here comes a pickup roaring in the driveway ( we have no signs and do not advertise as a machine shop ) some guy I have never seen before in my life gets out, walks over near me and sets this fist size part on the picnic table between him and I. He stated that the shop in town had had it for a week and didn't fix it, I told him I don't fix old stuff, I make new stuff, he said he would be back in a couple of hours. Long about quitting time he came back and asked for his part, I told him it was just where he left it and he went off like Yosomite Sam, I told him that if I wanted assholes to walk in off the street I would have hung out a shingle, then I walked over and picked it up off the table then tossed it in the river, pointed at the road and invited him to leave my property. Some folks have a real high opinion of their importance that I sometimes fail to recognize.

This was in IDAHO?!

Back