What's new
What's new

Draft checklist for inspection/assessment of geared head Hendey lathe

I should check this forum more often!
That’s probably a better Geared-Head Hendey Inspection Checklist than the one I wrote years ago. My list was for an inspection “Not Under Power;” I’m impressed by your extensive cautions about actions which could damage the lathe!
My approach included removing the headstock cover and actually “eyeballing” each gear and the shift forks, while moving what can be moved manually.
There’s an unfamiliar item in the Accessories checklist: a Threading Dial. A cone-pulley Hendey doesn’t have a Threading Dial because it doesn’t need one due to the single-point clutch. I’m not really familiar with geared-head Hendeys, but I don’t recall seeing one on the Hendey I inspected all those years ago.
John Ruth

Thanks John for taking look and adding some more ideas!
Happily the lathe I'm looking at powers up, and the gears all sound OK. I can't put them under load, but I'm trusting the sellers that everything worked when it was last in use and the oil sigh glasses are all at 1/2 way except the one in the apron.

I have owned quite a few Hendeys over the years. Included were the early gear versions and Flat Belt models. I currently own 4 Gear drive Hendeys, 24" 14" and 12" 18 speed plus a 12" Model 1. Did have an 16" but sold it to make room a 16" P&W model C Square head. Though I do have the threading dials they are not required on a Hendey due to the lead screw reverse feature that is also on my P&W. One thing that is noticeable on Hendey is the lead screw reverse clutch wear. Fixable but not easy to get to as it is under the Head stock on most models though it's under the Head stock on my Model 1 it's accessible without lifting the Head stock. One important thing to look for is for worn ways! A sure fire indication is to check the width of the flat on the top of the inverted V carriage ways at the tail stock end and compare it to the width near the Head stock. Another is to check the with of the flat on the lead screw an compare it as with the inverted V. At this time my 14" is the only Hendey I have without the threading dial but I do have the dial from a 16" that I'm thinking of converting to my 14" (Note will trade for a 14" Dial) though I thread quite a bit I haven't needed the Dial but it may come in handy in the future.

Thanks John for taking look and adding some more ideas!
Happily the lathe I'm looking at powers up, and the gears all sound OK. I can't put them under load, but I'm trusting the sellers that everything worked when it was last in use and the oil sigh glasses are all at 1/2 way except the one in the apron.

The apron oil reservoir is used both internally to the apron and also pumped to the ways. What goes to the ways is lost so it is not surprising that the apron sight glass would be low.

The apron oil reservoir is used both internally to the apron and also pumped to the ways. What goes to the ways is lost so it is not surprising that the apron sight glass would be low.
Thanks; I was hoping that was just a total-loss oiling path poorly maintained rather than a reservoir with a leak.

One important thing to look for is for worn ways! A sure fire indication is to check the width of the flat on the top of the inverted V carriage ways at the tail stock end and compare it to the width near the Head stock. Another is to check the with of the flat on the lead screw an compare it as with the inverted V.
Thanks Froneck. I noticed sig. lead screw wear over a c. 10" area and that led me to measure the wear in the ways:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/what-can-i-learn-hendey-serial-number-372734/index2.html#post3506608
Seems acceptable for my purposes, esp. since the lead screw is replaceable.

I you post the Serial number Hendyman can give you quite a bit of information on the lathe, will probably have the drawing for the lead screw. SN can be found at the tail stock end between the inverted V and the flat tails stock way.

Apparently the one I'm trying to buy (not mine yet!) is missing some info, but if I every get it into my shop I'll be able to figure most things out I think.
What Hendeyman found for my serial number
I'm already in touch with another Hendey 12x30 owner on this forum who's replacing her lead screw and she can give me advice if I go that same route.
Thanks!

Back