What's new
What's new

OT Pandemic Tow Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jermfab

Cast Iron
I’m in Atlanta. I’ve noticed a surprising number of tow trucks lately. Wondering if anyone else has noticed... or if you will now that I’ve mentioned it. I’m sane enough, my patterns have changed due to the virus, but not that significantly. I pulled into a QuikTrip gas station behind two rollback trucks yesterday to find another two rollbacks already at the pumps fueling. From QT I went to Kroger. There were rollbacks idling at both sides of the parking lot when I came in and two different “stinger” trucks near the Kroger fuel island.
My shop is right downtown, close to whatever they call Turner Field now, there’s a local company, A-Tow, that GUARDS!! that turf. I’ve seen the A-Tow guys for years, they have a fleet of paint-matched “stinger” repo trucks. Honestly, I’ve taken note of them because they don’t seem to have a single rollback and therefore likely won’t be my first call. After noticing the trucks at QT and Kroger I saw rollbacks way closer to my shop then I’ve ever seen before. Two different companies. NOT A-Tow...
Try as I may I’m not seeing the angle... I’ll grant that most of these “new” (potentially just to me), are high-dollar, company-owned trucks. As a cynic I’m thinking that the company owners are just trying to get their last gouge in... secure the next couple months of truck payments before people start shooting vulture capitalists in the streets? Guaranteed whoever owns these trucks isn’t fueling them up and sending them out to give people free rides home.

And bored Encyclopedia Browns out there?

Jeremy

Could be the finance companies are anticipating a wave of payment defaults, and want to secure the cars quickly before restrictions are put in place.

Like the banksters were ready and willing to throw people out of their homes in 2008/9.

Could be the finance companies are anticipating a wave of payment defaults, and want to secure the cars quickly before restrictions are put in place.

Like the banksters were ready and willing to throw people out of their homes in 2008/9.

How can a bank throw someone out of their house? They have no right. Oh...you mean they are throwing someone out of a house they don't own and haven't paid for but still expect to live in. In that case, they have aright. Not only a 100% legal right, but an ethical right as well.

So I hope I cleared up that one. Here's a question in return - who buys a house, or car, or anything without being able to pay for it? Two kinds of people - People who recognize and accept as mature adults that they might have to take a bath, and deadbeats who expect to go through life sucking at the teat of others.

...they are throwing someone out of a house they don't own and haven't paid for but still expect to live in.

You're a bank shill now, eh?

The aftermath of the 2008 meltdown had houses where nobody had any IDEA who was the owner. 1) allow the resident to stay. 2) shoot the bankers.
3) shoot the repo men.

Streets may need to be cleared in a hurry, for access by (choose your paranoia) ambulances, police vehicles, National Guard, CDC isolation units, containment camp transporters.

Or, if there's a 'mandatory shutdown' locally, those not making the cut may be involuntarily 'socially distanced' at the local pokey, and their cars toted out of the way of folks who are deemed essential.

Or, fuel could be pretty cheap right now...

That’s a good point. Diesel IS way cheap right now. And I did ask. The response was “out here making money”. Okay...
Again, this guys is idling someone else’s truck telling me about making money. Obviously the guy that actually owns the truck or note on the truck thinks HE can make enough money, or NEEDS to enough to park captain eloquent in the drivers seat.

Possibly government entity expecting a need to clear streets, excepting that as I said, these were EXPENSIVE rollback trucks... If things break down far enough that either me or local government needs to clear or clog streets there’s no way I’m getting the nicer trucks. Push, drag or shove. A bit of rigging or even a gentle bumper push can move a car you don’t own or care about.

Jeremy

No idea. But with a lot of people holed up, might be a good time and way to relieve them of their Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche . . .

Alternative hypothesis. Lots of temporary structures (for testing, extra hospital beds etc.) going up. Roll-back might be a way to move it in place??

How can a bank throw someone out of their house? They have no right. Oh...you mean they are throwing someone out of a house they don't own and haven't paid for but still expect to live in. In that case, they have aright. Not only a 100% legal right, but an ethical right as well.

There was so much fraud on the part of borrowers, lenders and loan holders who had no legal proof that they actually held the title, so they just photoshopped up some proof and Linda Green signed off on it.

Apparently these all these crimes were OK with the courts and our govt, because no one, except Linda Green went to jail.

Of course the big losers were those who didn't participate in the frauds and had to pay skyrocketing home prices or higher rents waiting for the frauds to collapse.

Then there is the fact that the banks were saved from their poor decisions and frauds by the FED buying up the mortgage back securities that were practically valueless for full price and why the FED still has $4 trillion of so on it's balance sheet.

No idea. But with a lot of people holed up, might be a good time and way to relieve them of their Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche . . .

Alternative hypothesis. Lots of temporary structures (for testing, extra hospital beds etc.) going up. Roll-back might be a way to move it in place??

Good chance they are doing deliveries to free up larger trucks. I've seen a couple carrying pallets of goods.

Sorry to interfere from Europe
#5 jim rozen one of the hard left regulars on PM.
24,631 post as of 2020-03-22 14:50 BST
Zero "likes"

"
1) allow the resident to stay.
2) shoot the bankers.
3) shoot the repo men.
"

4) Do a Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky, et al.
5) Expropriate the dachas formerly occupied by the Romanovs for your own use.
6) Live in luxury, with chefs, chauffeurs, tailors, doctors, servants et al. While millions are starving.
7) Develop policies that kill yet more millions.
8) As far as possible, personally stay far away from all dangers.
9) Go to #6.

So I hope I cleared up that one. Here's a question in return - who buys a house, or car, or anything without being able to pay for it? Two kinds of people - People who recognize and accept as mature adults that they might have to take a bath, and deadbeats who expect to go through life sucking at the teat of others.

There's actually a third kind - people with a steady job or business who signed on the dotted line expecting to remain employed or in business. Now, with shelter in place soon to be mandatory lock-down as in NYC these people may not be able to make payments. Many banks are offering grace periods but if this lunacy continues long enough millions of people will be forced into poverty.

There's actually a third kind - people with a steady job or business who signed on the dotted line expecting to remain employed or in business. Now, with shelter in place soon to be mandatory lock-down as in NYC these people may not be able to make payments. Many banks are offering grace periods but if this lunacy continues long enough millions of people will be forced into poverty.

Out here, the banks/lean holders and landlords are forbidden to evict anyone from their home for six months, as I understand it. that is state wide.

I'm pretty sure it also applies in Ks.

With as many folks that live paycheck to paycheck out here, there would be families living in the streets everywhere.

My wife teaches the Dave Ramsey thingy at her church, and you would not believe the stupidity of some folks when it comes to debt. Most cannot go without one paycheck, let alone four, as was just announced here locally.

One thing to remember, and I'm not in love with how the mortgage collapse was handled, but keep in mind that this is not the same situation- this is simple trickle down economics. Businesses shut down from shelter in place orders, and it goes down from there- yea, folks get paid for awhile . . . until the $$ bag at the business dries up . . food, heating bills etc don't stop, along with the loan payments. Apartment tenants can't pay their rent- not all landlords are big corporations, what then- free rent?- for how long? Most small mom and pop landlords do not have deep pockets.

Construction stops cuz of shelter in place, lumber yard business drops off, employees at the lumberyard are not working, but the poor lumberyard owner still wants to do the right thing and take care of his workers, and OH! by the way, that $50,000.00 invoice for the lumber still sitting in the yard is due. its not rocket science to see where this could be headed. Wash your damn hands and stay home!!! (or in the shop) Best to all of you.

I suspect like someone already said it is just more pleasant riding around in the truck than sitting on there ass at home. A Rollback isn't going to be out doing repos, but I have seen companies tow vehicles in mass to a parking lot where a rollback then takes two at a time to the yard.

One thing to remember, and I'm not in love with how the mortgage collapse was handled, but keep in mind that this is not the same situation- this is simple trickle down economics. Businesses shut down from shelter in place orders, and it goes down from there- yea, folks get paid for awhile . . . until the $$ bag at the business dries up . . food, heating bills etc don't stop, along with the loan payments. Apartment tenants can't pay their rent- not all landlords are big corporations, what then- free rent?- for how long? Most small mom and pop landlords do not have deep pockets.

Construction stops cuz of shelter in place, lumber yard business drops off, employees at the lumberyard are not working, but the poor lumberyard owner still wants to do the right thing and take care of his workers, and OH! by the way, that $50,000.00 invoice for the lumber still sitting in the yard is due. its not rocket science to see where this could be headed. Wash your damn hands and stay home!!! (or in the shop) Best to all of you.

Someone living check to check has no options here, but like you said if there landlord doesn't charge them rent for a month well now the bank needs to not charge the landlords mortgage for that month too, and so-on. Whatever was to happen needs to happen from the top down. Maybe at best everyone's payments will get differed a month or two, and the banks will probably get slipped tax money to still get payed that month (even though the loan will still be owed in full just pushed back). Something like that I don't know..I don't have much faith about it like other people still seem to. This isn't just going to be a slow month or two

I had to go to home depot yesterday for a few things to finish a job today, and it was discouraging how many people don't give a f*** about staying home, or being safe/sanitary. Family's with all there kids just shopping like normal, the cashier touching every damn item in my cart even after I pointed out how I set them out to not have to touch them for scanning. I didn't leave with a good feeling of whats to come here. I hope I am wrong.

Did construction stop up there? All existing construction is full speed ahead down here in San Luis Obispo county, for the time being anyway. No new will be scheduled yet. Contractor I supply parts for says 5 people max per 1000 sq ft of jobsite and up to 10 person max per jobsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back