What's new
What's new

Good WWII AA Shell Manuf' Video

I like the part at the end where it is stated that if the machining tolerances are followed, the weight will not be correct. The weight is checked after all the machining is done. It is up to the shop to determine which tolerances to change to meet the weight requirement. Ooookkkay!!

Tom

I like the part at the end where it is stated that if the machining tolerances are followed, the weight will not be correct. The weight is checked after all the machining is done. It is up to the shop to determine which tolerances to change to meet the weight requirement. Ooookkkay!!

Tom

I had to watch that part twice, and was still like ''yawot''

My take on the tolerances was if the shell was made in maximum (and presumably minimume) material condition as per tolerances the part would exceed the weight tolerance either too light or too heavy, thus the manufacturer must chose dimensional tolerances by whatever methods made sense given so the weight comes out in range.

My take on the tolerances was if the shell was made in maximum (and presumably minimume) material condition as per tolerances the part would exceed the weight tolerance either too light or too heavy, thus the manufacturer must chose dimensional tolerances by whatever methods made sense given so the weight comes out in range.

Several thoughts about this. First, I don't know what the machines and processes in use were capable of. Maybe what was on the print was the best that could be held on production basis. Otherwise tighten the tolerances until the weight would be correct if the dimensions were in tolerance. Second, instead of being the last step to accept or reject, there should be in process checks along the way. I did note in the book reference that reject shells could be salvaged.

Tom

Back