What's new
What's new

Monarch Tailstock Lever...

michael.kitko

Cast Iron
Just out of curiosity, I saw someone asking for a 18" lathe tailstock handle like the one in the picture. Now in all honesty, how come they didn't add them to a few of the smaller lathes. For instance, my 16CW could use one. That tailstock is a bear to move and having a crank handle would be so much easier. Maybe it's just my lathe or I'm just used to small lathes now, being in the Navy on subs and only having access to Southbends for the last few years, but it seems that, the tailstock shouldn't be this hard to move. Thoughts?
904b05fd1c4cc44e8bed0183babde066.jpg

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, I saw someone asking for a 18" lathe tailstock handle like the one in the picture. Now in all honesty, how come they didn't add them to a few of the smaller lathes. For instance, my 16CW could use one. That tailstock is a bear to move and having a crank handle would be so much easier. Maybe it's just my lathe or I'm just used to small lathes now, being in the Navy on subs and only having access to Southbends for the last few years, but it seems that, the tailstock shouldn't be this hard to move. Thoughts?

I think you should make one for your lathe, it's not rocket science. I have one on my Lodge & Shipley

The design of that tailstock crank system looks interesting. The crank support is hinged at the top and can be swung up and out of the way if not needed. When the crank is down there is a pinion that engages the bed rack. The only problem is that on most Monarch lathes the bed rack stops about the length of the tailstock away from the end of the bed. However, the bed is machined the same way along it length, so if you can find another section of bed rack you could extend it to the end. I think the only tricky parts would be making a pinion to engage the rack and getting the radius of the support rod correct.

Tailstock on my 16cw is also not "easy" to move. I have a monarch tailstock hand crank for it like in your picture, but the lathe it came off of had a different pitch rack so the pinion does not engage the cw rack. Need to make the right pinion gear and mount it.
I can measure it and provide pics if that helps you.
Pretty sure the rack on mine goes to the end of the bed, I will have to check to be sure now though. It is a 16x54

I think you should make one for your lathe, it's not rocket science. I have one on my Lodge & Shipley
LOL to the rocket science comment. Anyways, I've thought about it, but I have too much to do and not enough time to get it all done. On a side note, I did see a fast and easy way, some guy made a hook and eye setup on his and moves the tailstock with the carriage.

I know this is an old thread from 2020 but did anyone make gears for the tailstock crank mechanism ? I have the bracket fitted on my 60/61 but lacking the rest of it. The manual has no reference or pictures of the crank or gear so any information would be helpful. Thanks, Dave

Back