What's new
What's new

Rockwell variable speed drill press

Ekimnamniets

Plastic
I have an old Rockwell drill press. The table adjustment is manual (loosen pinch handle and grunt it up or down). I'd like to convert it to hand crank adjustable with gear rack and gear box. Anyone know of a source for said items? I've snooped on e-bay and what I've seen was 3 1/2" i.d. The mast on mine is 2 3/4". Any ideas are appreciated.

If you can't find an elevating mechanism, try mounting a pulley up near the top, and running a counterweight on a rope / wire to the back of the table.

Steve

If you can't find an elevating mechanism, try mounting a pulley up near the top, and running a counterweight on a rope / wire to the back of the table.

Steve

Like Steve said, adding a counter balance works well. Delta Rockwell made a spring loaded version for lifting drill press heads up and down. A picture of the pulley bracket casting is shown below.

Drill_press_table_counterweight.JPG
Drill_press_table_counterweight_1.jpg

Alternatively, Delta Rockwell did make a large production table for 2.75" diameter posts. It has a rack and pinion mechanism for raising and lowering. I have seen new old stock, but they are very rare.

I added a counterbalance to a benchtop Delta, Next is to add one to my floor model Clausing. Do it. You will be glad you did.

Buy a 2-piece shaft collar that fits your DP from someplace like McMaster Carr. Make a pulley bracket, tap the shaft collar for mounting holes and you have your top pulley. Add a bottom pulley to your table and a suitable counterweight and you are good to go.

Hint: Make the counterweight so you can quickly add extra weight to compensate for vises and other heavy bits.

PS: When I added a homemade swing away table for bits and other accessories to my DP I welded the pivot tube to a suitable size muffler clamp to mount it. I welded it to the stamped part that mates with the U-bolt. Much cheaper than a shaft collar.

That is neat how they had the weight inside the column. My dad's just hung on the back.

Steve

It was really designed for a super long spring instead of a counterweight. But I did not like the idea of having to drill the post to lock the pulley bracket casting in place. You do not need to do that for a counterweight.

Drill_press_table_spring_counterbalance.jpg

It was really designed for a super long spring instead of a counterweight. But I did not like the idea of having to drill the post to lock the pulley bracket casting in place. You do not need to do that for a counterweight.

Also, a counterweight has a constant force through its range of travel.

Steve

I have an old Rockwell drill press. The table adjustment is manual (loosen pinch handle and grunt it up or down). I'd like to convert it to hand crank adjustable with gear rack and gear box. Anyone know of a source for said items? I've snooped on e-bay and what I've seen was 3 1/2" i.d. The mast on mine is 2 3/4". Any ideas are appreciated.

here is the set up that delta [Rockwell ?] did that came off of a gang production table that lets the head move up and down being there is only a base no movable table it has a chain and a big spring like the other post was saying a cable and a big shahs weight would work just fine as the table is a lot lighter then the head . i know the drill head on that press is an atlas it was just a goulash machine i put together

View attachment 287341

Back