What's new
What's new

How is this Surface Created?

sdinzy

Aluminum
I see this lined surface on a lot of putters, I have trouble believing those are scallops.

B78DD98F-2E1A-4332-A222-5FBFFE67B7E3.jpg

The picture is not very clear but if you mean a pattern of longitudinal scratches that is usually done by a sanding process, often by a belt sander but sometimes by a belt on a rubber wheel of the Scott Murray type. The wheels have directional ribs that expand the diameter under centrifugal force to grip the inside of the sanding belt. They also have a cushion effect so they work very well for jobs like that. I've had one for years mounted on an old motor and it is wonderful for some tasks.

PS: Most golf club heads are investment cast so they need little actual machining.

I see this lined surface on a lot of putters, I have trouble believing those are scallops.

View attachment 288942

When we made putters, the surface you show is done with side of an endmill.
(the back of the putter was facing the spindle on op1)
When the putter heads were machined complete, they were polished with a unitized abrasive wheel. (scotchbright wheel)

Doug.

We get the same marks on parts coming out of our polishing department just like Scott said, but it’s hard to argue with Doug if he used to make putters!

It's a golf club. Golfers will buy anything if they think it will take one stroke off their game.

But it has to be different than everything else, so make the lines go a different direction. Then advertise the superiority of your design- the vertical lines make your putts go straighter...Don't forget to say "patent pending"...

I'm a golfer. I thought fishermen were suckers for gimmicks till I found golf. Saw a putter with an advertised "Milled Face". If I left a finish like it go out the door I'd be right behind it!

LOL
Try "German Stainless Steel" as a sales gimmick.
Scotty Cameron (IIRC) first used it, and now everybody is using GSS vs SST. Haha!!!
Now even Piretti (my old customer) is using the same marketing.
Piretti Capri Tour Only German Stainless Putter | PGA TOUR Superstore

Putters to men, are the same as lipstick to women.
Men and women will buy small items like lipstick or a putter, even when the economy is tight, if they want a quick "Feel Good" purchase.

Doug

I'm a golfer. I thought fishermen were suckers for gimmicks till I found golf. Saw a putter with an advertised "Milled Face". If I left a finish like it go out the door I'd be right behind it!

Ha!
We used to intentionally "ping" bottom face of the putter, to give it the "handmade" look.
You would be surprised how a little thing like making a run of serialized 20 pcs. (001 of 20, etc...) could raise the asking price to astronomical levels.
That and a little "pining" on the underside, make the 20 pcs go from $150 to $750 :eek: just because they are exclusive, and only 20 were made.
Ha! The Country Club crew eats this stuff up!

Do that about 20 times, and rake in the $$$$$$$$
(Just change the putter heads a tad bit each run)

The coolest were the C110 copper putters. I still play with my personal one.
20200518_151318.jpg20200518_151436.jpg20200518_151327.jpg

Caveat: These putters were made almost 15 years ago. My customer was great all the way though the prototyping stages.
Once they were big enough for the major (private label) putter machine shops, they took their business to production shops.

It’s not the side of an end mill, I would have known that :) It’s a convex surface so it would not be possible to get uniform lines with the side of an end mill.

LOL
Try "German Stainless Steel" as a sales gimmick.
Scotty Cameron (IIRC) first used it, and now everybody is using GSS vs SST. Haha!!!
Now even Piretti (my old customer) is using the same marketing.
Piretti Capri Tour Only German Stainless Putter | PGA TOUR Superstore

Putters to men, are the same as lipstick to women.
Men and women will buy small items like lipstick or a putter, even when the economy is tight, if they want a quick "Feel Good" purchase.

Doug

$2,250??? Is this April Fool's?

Sorry about the small picture guys, not sure why it uploaded so small. This should be better.

sole.jpg

Are you talking about lines from the front face to the back like little stripes? Kinda looks like it but might be a reflection from above?

My guess would be that the bottom shape is not a uniform curve and those stripes come from either a flimsy "toy" mill that doesn't have the resolution to make very smooth arcs, or, a poor programmer who didn't filter the arcs fine enough (maybe intentionally) and that curve is actually a bunch of small line segments. Each line segment will leave a stripe. Makes the profile look faceted.

It’s not the side of an end mill, I would have known that :) It’s a convex surface so it would not be possible to get uniform lines with the side of an end mill.

It could be a form tool, and they just side cut it. The machine lines tell us that it's cut with full length of flute and not stepped down or profiled.

Yeah I think that’s an end mill. I’m not sure what you mean that it can’t be because the surface is convex. The edge at the very bottom of the pic is hand polished/buffed.

$2,250??? Is this April Fool's?

Nope!
Look at the GSS, misaligned and haphazard stamping (actually engraving) . That is by design. It is "handmade" :rolleyes5: and the stamping just keeps that image going.
I am surprised that it is not serialized...for that price.

It is a convex surface???? The sole is convex?
I understand the 2 - 4° angle of the bottom of the putter to the face (loft), but I have not seen much in the way of a rounded bottom.
Do you mean the convex shape is from heel to toe, or from face to back?

If heel to toe, side of endmill. If face to back, then 3D of form tool. My guess anyway.

Doug.

Looks convex in both planes to me now that the picture is see-able.
The studder also looks very even but cusp or root shape hard to see.
Side form straight flute endmill possible but a zillion passes with a small ball nose more likely to me.

Sort of a poopy on purpose die finish when the stepover is large to the ball size followed by a deburr or a very nicely controlled prior op height and form.
Make it good finish die surface and then add the grooves as if you where engraving on a 3D contour?
I guess you only have to make such a program once but not fun to do and tool offsets had better be spot on to nail the flat widths between each groove which seem very good here.

Lengthwise surface profile on a contracer or profilometer chart trace would be interesting but maybe hard or expensive to come by.
Be aware that looks like it to your eye is sometimes (or often) not It.
I would think the flats here critical along with the edge/corner that transitions to the grooves.

Not an easy part to copy and for sure some trade secrets in the process.
I do so hope you are not trying to rip off a design and are making something new of your own being a bit better or different.
Bob

Back