What's new
What's new

Talon grip chuck jaw)s (stupid question)

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Hello.

This is probably a stupid question but has anyone seen a talon grip or similar chuck jaw use? Would that work? I know they have clamps for round stock so has anyone adopted them to chuck jaws?

Thank you

Hello.

This is probably a stupid question but has anyone seen a talon grip or similar chuck jaw use? Would that work? I know they have clamps for round stock so has anyone adopted them to chuck jaws?

Thank you

The round ones are called versa grips. I think member wheelieking had some pics of a setup where he did exactly that.

Yes:

Versa grips.jpg

They work great. 1/8" extra stock, monster grip so you can go to town. For bigger steel blanks you probably would want to face and groove the backside so the grips have a nice recess to latch onto.

Regards.

Mike

Yes:

View attachment 294107

They work great. 1/8" extra stock, monster grip so you can go to town. For bigger steel blanks you probably would want to face and groove the backside so the grips have a nice recess to latch onto.

Regards.

Mike

Could also counterbore 2 holes next to each other in the jaws so you have 6 grippers in the part, 2 at each jaw.

(I have never done it but after seeing your image, that's what I'd do if I was worried)

These are stock photos, but we have made them for vise and chuck soft jaws.
View attachment 294245View attachment 294246

That second photo is my chuck, LOL (mitee bite used it on their site).

Yes, it works great.
My only warning is: in softer materials, be very careful with your chuck pressure.
A hydraulic chuck will easily over come aluminum, and compromise the integrity of the grip.

Edit: that pic you posted Doug is not the one Mitee Bite used. But, it is still my chuck. Not sure where you got that? LOL

The Mitee Bite pic is the first pic in the bottom set on this page: VersaGrip™ | Mitee-Bite Products LLC.

Last edited:
That second photo is my chuck, LOL (mitee bite used it on their site).

Yes, it works great.
My only warning is: in softer materials, be very careful with your chuck pressure.
A hydraulic chuck will easily over come aluminum, and compromise the integrity of the grip.

Edit: that pic you posted Doug is not the one Mitee Bite used. But, it is still my chuck. Not sure where you got that? LOL

The Mitee Bite pic is the first pic in the bottom set on this page: VersaGrip™ | Mitee-Bite Products LLC.

Damn wheelie, you better start trademarking your pics! :D

Back