What's new
What's new

Laser nesting software recommendations?

ChipSplitter

Titanium
I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in the CAD/CAM forum....I guess I'll post it here and Don can move it if he sees fit. ;)

Like the title says, what do you use? Why do you like it (or not)?

Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just bulletproof and reliable.

Does anyone know if Cincinnati's software is compatible with other lasers?

Thanks in advance.

We used bysoft7 on our bystronic laser while I was still doing that. Not sure if it's available standalone or if it just came with the laser, but it was the best nesting software I've used, and I've done a ton of nesting. Routers, waterjet, etc.

There is a freeware app called deepnest.io which can be fiddly, but I've had OK success with it for waterjet work.
And at the price (and relative ease of starting) you can probably afford to try it out.

I guess it's sort of important to know, are you just looking for something to nest .DXFs? Or are you looking for laser CAM software?

I guess it's sort of important to know, are you just looking for something to nest .DXFs? Or are you looking for laser CAM software?

It needs to nest DXFs and output as one large DXF (up to 3 layers). No code is generated, that's all done on the laser side.

>>Mike, I thought you were kidding me about MC....:willy_nilly:

Can you put multiple DXFs together and save as one?

It needs to nest DXFs and output as one large DXF (up to 3 layers). No code is generated, that's all done on the laser side.

>>Mike, I thought you were kidding me about MC....:willy_nilly:

Can you put multiple DXFs together and save as one?

Yes, you can. If you have mastercam that'll work fine for you. I used it on routers for years.

Many if not most lasers come with some sort of nesting software. Mine came with cypcut which is a sort of cad nest and laser machine operation software.. it gets the job done and was included. I do save my repeat job nests and I'll edit the nest to get a few more in because sometimes it gets stupid and will leave big open areas of wasted metal.

I have found that instead of telling the software I need 1000 of each part on 20 sheets it's better to nest 50-55 of each part on one sheet. Do a little adjustment for best fit and then make up for any shortfalls on the last sheet. The main advantage is that when you strip 20+ sheets you develop a pattern that saves time. Having 20 slightly different nest results makes a mess.

I've made all of my nests manually up until now, when we are getting a laser that I believe comes with cypcut.

It's important for the parts I make that everything is all grained identically. (And we like to cut all parts of a set from the same batch of material, and certain parts need to be all cut from the same sheet). Is the part orientation pretty easy to lock in?

I've made all of my nests manually up until now, when we are getting a laser that I believe comes with cypcut.

It's important for the parts I make that everything is all grained identically. (And we like to cut all parts of a set from the same batch of material, and certain parts need to be all cut from the same sheet). Is the part orientation pretty easy to lock in?

I thought there is a "grain orientation" setting on these nesting programs

Yeah it's fairly easy, set your parts how you want them to be aligned either in your cad software or in the parts tab. Then use the "No rotation" option (sometimes it chinese text) and the parts will all be nested as you have them.. On the nest result you can select objects and shuffle them around.

My basic nest video shows how cypcut nesting controls rotation at the 4:30 time mark.

I touch on nest sheet editing a few times here. This video is how to split sheets into more manageable parts.
I have another way that is slightly more complicated that will nest the parts into smaller sections, which works better with larger oddly shaped parts.

And, given a sheet of metal, how do you determine the grain direction by inspection?

Normally sheet metal in 4'x8' or 5'x10' sheets will have come off 4' wide or 5' wide rolls. So the grain will normally run lengthwise. Normally metal curls slightly with the grain so holding the sheet from one end hanging you can see the bow and determine grain visually..

And, given a sheet of metal, how do you determine the grain direction by inspection?

On aluminum you can see lines on the surface going along the rolling direction. On steel you can see and edge on either side is rounded, meaning those were the edges of the sheet at the roller. I've always seen the grain going along the long direction, except for material from one mill in Egypt that we rejected due to inclusions and delamination of the aluminum plate, and also severe cracking when bending.

I really don't care what the direction is, I just care that it stays the same. Rotating them around randomly can cause in excess of +-1 degree of bend error, and that's the entire tolerance I am allowed, if I even get that much wiggle room to begin with.

There is a freeware app called deepnest.io which can be fiddly, but I've had OK success with it for waterjet work.
And at the price (and relative ease of starting) you can probably afford to try it out.

I tried this one, but it turned all my radii into multiple point segments. Waterjet operator wouldn't touch it. Base files were perfect.... still on the lookout for nesting software

Yeah, I had that happen with it too - so took the pattern it made and kind of manually copied it - or sometimes cleaned it up in solidworks. Neither is fun, both only make sense for cases where it found a nesting that would work when I couldn't - and it's free software....

Not familiar with lasers. We have hi def plasma and use sigma nest. Previous place I worked we used pronest which is now owned by Hypertherm. I much preferred the pronest software as it was much more user friendly for me. I would think they would have provision for lasers. Neither of these are by any means cheap tho.

Back