What's new
What's new

i present for your amusement: this weeks boneheaded move. a stuck albrecht catastroph

vanguard machine

Stainless
if you can't laugh at yourself something something...

last week:
rigid taping 5/8-11 on the lathe. turn around for a millisecond to acknowledge something help said to me and leave the drag on tailstock, locking up tight on reverse.
this spun the work in the collet, snapped the tang on the MT4 taper and wedged the tap in the chuck like i've never seen before.

tried all the usual stuff..
soaked in kroil overnight, wrapped body with brass shim and gaf tape and took a chain wrench to it. vibration while applying torque. nothing... and that was all while held in my 6" bullet with alu soft v jaws and me wrenching on the handle.

never seen one this stuck so next plan...
cut off wheel off the end of the tap and take it to the lathe. faced off and bored out with a brand new carbide endmill until the thin wall left of the tap cracked from jaw pressure.
endmill now gets seized in, something i guess i was kinda waiting for, but hoping wouldn't happen.. this now spins the albrecht body in my 3 jaw, galling the front serration on my jaws and putting a nice deep mark on this otherwise blemish free albrecht..
man this just keeps getting better! haha
in the end the chuck will be lovingly saved and it was glorious seeing that tap disintegrate.

pics show how much was left that wasn't chip form. lol

needless to say i guess it's time to rebuild an albrecht[emoji2359]

72d0c5c646cb58b352d46787ee6191df.jpg

thought you all might get a laugh.

f2c9719960c75ebb0799d51197448ba4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the reasons I've never been ''that sold'' on Albrechts and that type of chuck.

You want some real fun, try running an Albrecht chuck on a Britan repetition lathe :D

It is always the worst when what should be a quick simple job turns into something that takes 3 times as long as it should. I recently came across an old Philco radio I was going to get working again, put it down in the basement to await its turn. Was walking by with a laundry basket of clothes a few days ago and stepped on a @!#*$@!#$* kids toy, caused me to shift my weight to catch my balance and whack the laundry basket right into the glass dial of the radio. Shattered into a million pieces. God**** it!

Oooo that sux..... don't feel too bad, we all have days like that. One time I sat at a stop sign and waited for it to turn green.
You were fortunate to be where the term "New York Minute" originated and not be long delayed.

Things move more slowly, South of the Mason-Dixon line. Local one on the corner here, visible from the window has had me trapped in the house since 1991.

I am already several years overdue for my own funeral.

I parted with my tool some years ago when I could no longer even get it INTO a box, let alone last for ten inserts.

Count your blessings!

I try hard when I feel one of those days coming to just shut down everything and go do something else. Sometimes I don't succeed.

When a tool gets screwed up like that it should be immediately thrown in the trash.

Problem is I never seem to follow my own advice. I spend to much time trying to fix it, only to find out the repaired tool works, but not well enough to be truly useful.

Well if it makes you feel any better. Today one of our help forgot to shut the tailgate on the truck and didn't strap the pallet down. Nobody knew until a guy swung by with the 14"Øx3" adapter plate and busted pallet in his car. Luckily the road rash wasn't too bad. Kicker was the guy that brought it back made a comment about how he could've just dropped it off at the scrap yard. I don't think he understands the price of scrap at the moment. With how much material was removed on that adapter plate, he'd be lucky to have gotten $5.

weird thing is i have several albrecht chuck and i often use some kind of wrench to tighten a larger drill to prevent it from spinning (im sick of filing the shanks). i hate self tightening chucks.

it seems that September was a tough month for Albrecht chucks round the world :D

here's mine, was drilling some holes in a work piece on my cnc, wrote the program so the drill stops 15mm above the work and then use quill to drill manually, and after spotting the holes with a short center drill and switching to longer 16mm drill forgot to set the Z height, I was right there watching happen eve... I was thinking - it will stop any moment now, till it clicked that I didn't set the Z, hit the e-stop right when the drill and the tool holder broke

it was a 16mm drill with a turned down shank to fit smaller chucks, and it broke off right where the turned down section meets the 16mm body of the drill, that hit the face of the chuck which then broke the tool holder taper off... its a B16 taper on that iso40 holder that snapped off, the broken off piece was pressed into the poor Albrecht so extremely tight because of this, had to weld a screw to the broken stub, made a spacer so I could put a nut on the screw and put tension on the broken piece to get it out, propane torch to warm the chuck body and then even had to hammer on the OD (with the collar removed obviously) to shock it to get the taper to unlock

alb.jpg

weird thing is i have several albrecht chuck and i often use some kind of wrench to tighten a larger drill to prevent it from spinning (im sick of filing the shanks). i hate self tightening chucks.

Have a look at a Llambrich "Hybrid".

Hybrid : Llambrich

LOVE mine! John Welden twigged PM to it, several years ago!

There's even a Chinese copy, its even well made, and it even actually works. DAMHIKT!

But COVID and all sorta saturated the market for Chinese exports, so I have ceased buying Chinese goods temporarily. About 40 years should see me out?

It is always the worst when what should be a quick simple job turns into something that takes 3 times as long as it should. I recently came across an old Philco radio I was going to get working again, put it down in the basement to await its turn. Was walking by with a laundry basket of clothes a few days ago and stepped on a @!#*$@!#$* kids toy, caused me to shift my weight to catch my balance and whack the laundry basket right into the glass dial of the radio. Shattered into a million pieces. God**** it!

dark-helmet-spaceballs-action-figures.jpg

Gotta pick up those action figures when you're done playing with them.

if you can't laugh at yourself something something...

last week:
rigid taping 5/8-11 on the lathe. turn around for a millisecond to acknowledge something help said to me and leave the drag on tailstock, locking up tight on reverse.
this spun the work in the collet, snapped the tang on the MT4 taper and wedged the tap in the chuck like i've never seen before.
McMaster-Carr

There's even a Chinese copy, its even well made, and it even actually works. DAMHIKT!

But COVID and all sorta saturated the market for Chinese exports, so I have ceased buying Chinese goods temporarily. About 40 years should see me out?

surprisingly nothing comes up on ebay for llambrich.

i was looking for a fake one. i have one llambrich and cant afford any more.

Best thing about that LLambrich link is how they spelled unique.

Back