What's new
What's new

Haas mill air treatment?

Stang Bladeworks

Aluminum
I have a mini mill coming in a week or two and I am trying to get all the air components sourced in advance. My compressor is just a cheap 60 gallon piston model. It does exceed the air requirements listed on Haas' website though. I don't have permanent air lines at this time and I want to use air hoses mounted to my trusses. I am wondering what types or air filters people are using. My understanding is that the machine has its own oiler but I need to supply a regulator and something to clean and dry the air. I have found some filters on McMaster that have a regulator and 5 micron element. It says that they filter out particulates and moisture. Is this enough or should I add a dryer or silica unit as well? I don't have a ton of money to throw at this right now but I don't want to buy something to immediately replace it either. Is there a significant draw back using hoses vs a fixed pipe system? Does it matter where the regulator is installed? I have heard that the silica dryers should be a ways away from the compressor, is this true for a 5 micron filter as well? If anyone has any general recommendations I would love to hear them. I also have a small blast cabinet but I will get a dedicated regulator for it.

Thanks

Coilhose Pneumatics makes some nice inline filters that have a saturation indicator on the element that don't break the bank. Even with an air dryer at the tank I still put one at the machine.

Coilhose Pneumatics

I use Smc filters throughout my shop. They look like the ones from harbor freight because those are a direct copy. You can find real smc filter regulator combos in 1/2 npt with auto drain for under $30 on eBay brand new. Just have to do you homework and find out what the codes mean so you make sure to get an auto drain if you want that or whatever. I opted for a 3/4 npt filter w/o regulator with auto drain by my compressor where my hard line starts then the lines go into the shop to a filter regulator combo and to the air dryer and that regulates the entire shop down to about 110psi. Even with the dryer off I end up with very dry clean air in my shop.

It will come with a regulator (if brand new) get a 10 gallon or so surge tank from Amazon or harbor freight. Dry air is a must for long term, usually right after the main air unit, but probably spendy

I have one of these at the compressor
Error | DNS Resolution | Northern Tool + Equipment

and then about 30 feet away one of these.

Error | DNS Resolution | Northern Tool + Equipment

and have used 1/2" and 3/4" PEX tubing from the hardware store, haven't had a issue in 3 years.

Never had even the slightest bit of moisture in the lines.
That looks like some great quality stuff not surprised it’s lasted so long

Our dryer had exploded(vented air some burst plate went bad ) this week
And are in the process of deciding to buy different or repair havent decided

Tho i am interested in the air regulator
Again ours suck and cant supply enough to our machine so it always shows 100 at idle but 70 when running

That looks like some great quality stuff not surprised it’s lasted so long

Our dryer had exploded(vented air some burst plate went bad ) this week
And are in the process of deciding to buy different or repair havent decided

Tho i am interested in the air regulator
Again ours suck and cant supply enough to our machine so it always shows 100 at idle but 70 when running
My post is 2 years old, that regulator is a POS, I had one at home go out, and 2 at the shop go out.
I bought a real regulator, that has replaceable parts for maintenance.
No more issues.
Parker Industrial Air Regulator

Back