What's new
What's new

Start up and orient issues with Yaskawa Varispeed 626VM3 spindle drive.

mclausen

Plastic
The low hour Kitamura MyCenter 1 with Fanuc OM-C I recently purchased has a couple of issues with the spindle drive. It is a Yaskawa 626VM3 CIMR-VMS25P5.

1. Maybe 1/3 of the time the drive fails to initialize giving a F-A00 error on the drive, and a spindle error 1008 on the control. Other threads said this could be a buss charging problem due to bad resistors. I checked the resistors, and they read correctly. The capacitors are too big to check with my Fluke, but they do not appear bulging or anything obvious. I checked the diodes, and they are all around 4V.
The manual says the buss voltage should be no more that 1.2 times the supply voltage. Using the display on the drive, the buss voltage is too high at around 300V. I am running off of a CNC rated phase converter and my supply legs are 220, 220, and 227V. The drive is rated for 200-230V. Of course there could be some transients on the generated leg on starting that I do not see.
If the drive does start, the spindle works through it's entire speed range.

2. The first few times I tried a tool change, the spindle just spun for a while and the drive eventually gave a no sensor error. After that it started orienting properly for the tool change most of the time, but some of the time it appears to be orienting, but is not good enough for the arm to start. Now this could be a sensor problem, but I am wondering if is is related to the first problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have had similar problems with mine drove me half crazy then by dumb luck I found one leg of the power cable to the spindle motor was broken . It would make contact most times but once in awhile it would separate. It was bad enough that you could feel it through the insulation. First time I spliced it but after the other wires had the same problem I replaced all four . Haven’t had a problem since

I have had similar problems with mine drove me half crazy then by dumb luck I found one leg of the power cable to the spindle motor was broken . It would make contact most times but once in awhile it would separate. It was bad enough that you could feel it through the insulation. First time I spliced it but after the other wires had the same problem I replaced all four . Haven’t had a problem since

Where did the problem in the wires occur? I imagine it would have to happen in a place with a lot of movement.

I initially had found one of the supply legs that was not tight, but tightening it did not fix it.

Did you also have the failure to initialize error, or only the orientation problem. The initialize error happens without even attempting to engage the motor.

Ok I believe I had misinterpreted the manual on the bus voltage. "Capacitor voltage is not greater than 1.2 times the input voltage (rms).", refers to the lower limit of voltage, not upper limit. Other places I read say the bus voltage should be 1.41 times the supply voltage, which puts mine about right. I don't remember if I checked this when it was under the fault condition though.

I'm following up that these problems are now resolved.
For the start-up issue with the spindle drive, I traced it to dirty or damaged contact points in the buss charging contactor. I could read intermittent high resistance when energizing the contactor. I couldn't find a new replacement contactor, to I just switched the wires to a set of unused terminals on the original contactor. Haven't had a startup issue since.
For the intermittent spindle orient issue, I cleaned the terminals in the spindle orient sensor connector. I haven't had a problem since.

I'm following up that these problems are now resolved.
For the start-up issue with the spindle drive, I traced it to dirty or damaged contact points in the buss charging contactor. I could read intermittent high resistance when energizing the contactor. I couldn't find a new replacement contactor, to I just switched the wires to a set of unused terminals on the original contactor. Haven't had a startup issue since.
For the intermittent spindle orient issue, I cleaned the terminals in the spindle orient sensor connector. I haven't had a problem since.
Can you send some photos of now working condition. What are the parts cleaned and replaced parts. Because I'm trouble with my drive

[/ATTACH]IMG-0195.jpgSpindle sensor.jpg

harishmech10,

The spindle orient amplifier is mounted behind the spindle. The picture shows the connector I cleaned.

The spindle drive charging contactor is shown in the other picture. I had to remove quite a bit in the drive to access it.

Good luck,

Mike

Back