What's new
What's new

WTB:. Looking for a Starrett 98-6 or 98-8.

diebog

Plastic
Hi, I'm looking for a used Starrett level, I'd just go to eBay buy one but people want the same price for a used one as what a new one costs. I'm a home hobbyist and recently bought a Smithy Granite Max 1340. Want to set it up right but tooling and collets have set me back. Does anyone have a used one laying around that they don't use? I am not concerned with what it looks like, just as long as it works like it is supposed to. Thanks Jeremy

Hi, I'm looking for a used Starrett level, I'd just go to eBay buy one but people want the same price for a used one as what a new one costs. I'm a home hobbyist and recently bought a Smithy Granite Max 1340. Want to set it up right but tooling and collets have set me back. Does anyone have a used one laying around that they don't use? I am not concerned with what it looks like, just as long as it works like it is supposed to. Thanks Jeremy

If I had one "Laying around..." I would sell it where it made me the most money now wouldn't I ?

And you would too.....:skep:

Isn't that what they now refer to (politically correct and all) as a "Grifter" ?

Nah. Catch up in the back!

"Grifter" is no longer anywhere close to "Politically Correct".

They have "ranks" and a well-defined progression and pecking-order amongst the looter heirarchy now. The top term is:

"President of the United States"

Everybody has to start somewhere and work their way up. Nothing for it, the "basics" have to be seen to FIRST.

Priorities, y'see. It's kinda like the Balkanese recipe for Chicken Paprikash:

"First,... steal a chicken.."

Precision levels and payoffs from foreign governments arrive in the fullness of time.

Patience, crumb snatchers.

Can't get your hands on "Other People's Money" all at once.

Yah have to trick them into "virtue signalling" first. Too much like "work" otherwise.

Wow, I didn't expect these kind of replys. Very rude! My lathe is an industrial model and costs 6k. How is a 120$ level worth more? Also just because I live in CA doesn't mean I have money. Living in CA is very expensive! If I had the money don't you think I would of bought one new and wouldn't of posted looking for one? Forget I asked, I thought this forum was to help people not criticize them.

Wow, I didn't expect these kind of replys. Very rude! My lathe is an industrial model and costs 6k. How is a 120$ level worth more? Also just because I live in CA doesn't mean I have money. Living in CA is very expensive! If I had the money don't you think I would of bought one new and wouldn't of posted looking for one? Forget I asked, I thought this forum was to help people not criticize them.

It didn't "cost" anywhere near "6k". You were just f**ked into PAYING 6K.

"Industrial model" ?

Oh, surely it IS!

But the "industry" is that of cramming ten pounds of shite into a five pound bag and selling the Hell out of it to the gullible.

THAT's the "industrial" part. High volume mass-market rip-off bizness.
Nothing at all "industrial" about the shoddy metal!

Yah. We can help. If you ask BEFORE you make the same mistake once.

Too late NOW.

Even if you abort, you can't get UN-f**ked, can yah?

No damned WONDER "living in CA is very expensive".

But that's a whole 'nuther level of "gullibility."

Meanwhile:

Machinery Discussion Guidelines

hey, stiffen up your back a little. you have had the honor of being blasted by the two most persistent pests on here.

you did step in it, though. think of what you asked, hey! you don't know me, but cut me a great deal on one of the most sought after pro machinist and millwright tools! I need it to set up my new hobby machine!

how did you think that would go? lol!

if you had been an active contributing poster for years and were respected for your decades of deep professional wisdom, that would still be a tough ask.

if you had been an active contributing poster for years and were respected for your decades of deep professional wisdom, that would still be a tough ask.

Sometimes it is great entertainment, even so.

Remember when King Richard spent post after post after post walking a guy through trying to scrape more accuracy into a cheap-ass not-even-hobby "Wrong Foo" mill-drill-shaped object that did not OWN anything sound enough to attach an improvement TO and have it hold precision for even an hour!

Then went into a thermonuclear hissy-fit over the thread should not be allowed on PM because it was all about hobby grade shite he was OFFENDED BY as a "professional"!

Even though HE had been the main contributor to the dirty deed?

Frickin' Priceless!!!

:D

diebog? There's your problem. And why we do NOT make the attempt.

The collection of temporarily-draft-deferred scrap metal under your hand simply cannot HOLD any more precision than it already has. Eg; "not a lot".

No matter HOW hard you try to improve it. Lightly built s**t moves.

If you want a precision level?

"First... " acquire SOMETHING you can actually USE it to good effect with.

Meanwhile, among life's funnier things. The Chinese make FAR better levels than they make hobby-grade alleged machine-tools.

You don't NEED a Starrett, Lufkin, Scherr, VIS, EDA, or Weiler.

A basic second-tier Japanese, French, Eastern European, or even Chinese "shorty" block level @ about 4" to 6" start at $28 bucks, and will get into tight spots on a small machine. Add a parallel or length of ground stock to extend the span?

That will cover anything "needy" you can actually make USE OF with that rig you have.

Get a better machine "later"? Buy a longer, better, level, later.

I still have FAR more work for my Chicom "shorty" ones that I have for the 42" US-made one.

I did not pay 6k, that’s how much they are new. I paid allot less used and came from a guy that worked at an aerospace machine shop when he passed. (It was his home shop lathe) It came with thousands of $ of end mills, cutters, face mills, 3 jaw, 4 jaw and 6 jaw chucks, 5c collet chuck, 8" rotary table, DRO, boxes and boxes of indexable tooling, and more. And yes it is the industrial model as the company changes the motor to 220v, adds the higher resolution DRO and 40" between centers vs. the standard 20" and a few other upgrades. This model is used by allot of gunsmiths as well. It may not be the 100k machines you guys use but I am just a hobbyist, everyone has to start somewhere. All the videos I watch (even on cheap china lathes) show a Starrett level being used and suggested. I don’t get why you guys are hating so much on me. I'm not gullible, I wasn't sold a piece of junk, and it’s all I can afford. I’d love to work on the machines you guys do, but I grew up doing Tile and Granite fabrication, and never had the time to go to school to become a machinist. So a home hobbyist/tinker is all I get. Can’t you guys give a new guy a break?

I did not pay 6k, that’s how much they are new. I paid allot less used and came from a guy that worked at an aerospace machine shop when he passed. (It was his home shop lathe) It came with thousands of $ of end mills, cutters, face mills, 3 jaw, 4 jaw and 6 jaw chucks, 5c collet chuck, 8" rotary table, DRO, boxes and boxes of indexable tooling, and more. And yes it is the industrial model as the company changes the motor to 220v, adds the higher resolution DRO and 40" between centers vs. the standard 20" and a few other upgrades. This model is used by allot of gunsmiths as well. It may not be the 100k machines you guys use but I am just a hobbyist, everyone has to start somewhere. All the videos I watch (even on cheap china lathes) show a Starrett level being used and suggested. I don’t get why you guys are hating so much on me. I'm not gullible, I wasn't sold a piece of junk, and it’s all I can afford. I’d love to work on the machines you guys do, but I grew up doing Tile and Granite fabrication, and never had the time to go to school to become a machinist. So a home hobbyist/tinker is all I get. Can’t you guys give a new guy a break?

Smell the coffee, Snowflake. Nobody has TIME for "hate".

If I told you an unvarnished particle board kitchen countertop was the same as fine black granite because I had wiped it down with Kiwi black shoe polish .. would you give ME a "break"?

Or point out that I was "mistaken"?

:D

You don't have to "go to school" to learn the difference between hobby-shop and GENUINE industrial-grade goods.

Go where other hobbyists hang out. They know a LOT more about your machine, if nothing else.

Then be happy and "Run what you got".

You're going about it wrong, a cheep import level will work just fine. You really don't care about absolute level but a relative measurement. For this the level doesn't even need to be calibrated. Every piece of equipment I own was set up with a 10" Grizzly level that I was given many years ago.

IMO your money is better spent elsewhere

ok, here is your break.

most important tip, Ignore thermite.

second, congratulations on your purchase.

third, no, you absolutely don't need a starrett level to set up your lathe. a Chinese level that fits your budget will work just fine. there is no need to defend your education, professional experience, or life choices, but don' just show up and ask for a special deal on a tool that a lot of pros feel ownership of has to be "earned" by years of experience. I don't share that thinking exactly, or a cult-like reverence for anything branded Starrett, but they do make nice tools.

All you need however, is a decent level, there is nothing magical about a starrett level. why do you think you need a Starrett level, and why do you think you deserve a special deal on one? those are the questions. this forum is an incredible resource and is very generous with help and information, (with a few exceptions!) but folk around here do expect a certain level of respect and intelligence.

...Want to set it up right ...

1) Ignore the chaff-throwers.

2) folks on this board that buy a level like that never sell it. It's part of their genome to have that. It'll be in their coffin.

3) a simple WTB ad here has the best chance for success.

4) you probably don't need *any* kind of level to 'set it up right.' Read about it, save your money.

5) best of luck.

Don't sweat it, you were just greeted by the self-proclaimed hospitality crew..... Cheers.....:cheers:

If it makes you feel any better they annoy the shit out of just about anyone.

Hodge

Back