What's new
What's new

SB 9" B Rebuild Update

mcload

Hot Rolled
Thought I'd post a few pics of my 9" rebuild, noting an oddity or two.
Finished the horizontal drive last week, which left only the motor to take apart and clean up.

As you know, the horizontal drive assembly pivots in two places on the base. I found it odd that the set-screw is fundamentally squared off on the end, but fits into a conical hole. Why exactly is that? The bearing surface is very close to the edge of the hole. You would think that a set screw with more of a conical end would do just as good at supporting the weight and be much easier for installation. So, I put a conical shoulder on mine....I know, how dare I!!
View attachment 313032 View attachment 313033

The motor is pert near original (I think) for this lathe made in 1958 as it's a 1/2hp GE. Oddly enough (for me), it has a gits oiler reservoir for the shaft on both ends. Taking one of the end plates further apart, I find a whole bunch of very thick felt pieces. Luckily, these are in great shape and only needed a cleanup with min spirits. The shaft rotates in a specially machined soft bushing. Forget about getting replacement bushings, not that they were worn anyway.

View attachment 313034 View attachment 313035 View attachment 313036

I bead blasted the two cast aluminum end plates and sprayed with clear enamel. After I clean out the frame, I'll prob paint it in the darker machine gray color (Rustoleum) as this is definitely not a good piece to try to paint with a brush. It's original color was a blue-gray, but had a coat of machine gray and gold on top of that.
Of course, the end plates will remain the raw aluminum color just for contrast.

So all of the assemblies are finished and ready. Now to concentrate on building a new bench. By the way, this lathe will be upgraded to include a QCGB.

There is one other oddity, but will save that for later.

(Additional photos follow)

PMc

Very cool sticking with that electric motor, and going through it. Really a nice touch in my opinion.

I had mentioned to you a repair I did on an old motor. I really spent too much time on it. But having it, and making it happen, well it makes a great story ! :D

The one I did also had bushings, gits oilers, and felts. On mine, on the pulley side, the bushing was too wore. The shaft moved up and down. Besides that, the rotor liked to thrust forward, and created about a 1/4" end play. I had to make a new bushing, and add a collar to rotor shaft. Was able to save it though, and its still in operation. :D

125.jpg 183.jpg 187.jpg 188.jpg 150.jpg

Very cool sticking with that electric motor, and going through it. Really a nice touch in my opinion.

I had mentioned to you a repair I did on an old motor. I really spent too much time on it. But having it, and making it happen, well it makes a great story ! :D

The one I did also had bushings, gits oilers, and felts. On mine, on the pulley side, the bushing was too wore. The shaft moved up and down. Besides that, the rotor liked to thrust forward, and created about a 1/4" end play. I had to make a new bushing, and add a collar to rotor shaft. Was able to save it though, and its still in operation. :D

View attachment 313160 View attachment 313161 View attachment 313162 View attachment 313163 View attachment 313164

Thanks, it seemed like the right thing to do.

I read the thread of your grinder motor rebuild in total. An interesting read, nice job,
and an unusual motor.
It is here:
Hammond Machinery Builders, Tool Grinder Model CB-77

And that tool grinder is awesome! Looks like it screams!

I noticed you polished your armature a bit; I wasn't sure if that was okay or not.
Now I know. It's in the lathe waiting for a shaft polishing and general clean-up.
I haven't touched it yet. I liked your idea of checking the balance too.

PMc

View attachment 313184

And that tool grinder is awesome! Looks like it screams!

I noticed you polished your armature a bit; I wasn't sure if that was okay or not.
Now I know. It's in the lathe waiting for a shaft polishing and general clean-up.
I haven't touched it yet. I liked your idea of checking the balance too.

PMc

View attachment 313184

That grinder has turned out to be real handy, not just for its intended use either.

I didn't actually polish the armature. I assume fine debris did that for me. :D

I was actually a little worried at the time about that, but the motor operated prior to disassembly, albeit sloppily. Seems to pull power fine now.

Do you think that the one set screw that is squared off is a home shop replacement? It does seem strange that the two aren't identical.

Well, it wasn't just the one pictured, but the one on the other side as well.
I'm 99% sure those are the ones I removed from the base during disassembly.
If it was a home shop replacement by a prior owner, then I'd have to give
them an F for effort!

I will check the base pivot screws on my '46 9" sometime today to see how
they are configured. I guess anything is possible at this point in the game.

PMc

Back