What's new
What's new

How much should a knee mill cost?

Hello, first off, I am new to the forum, and as an added bonus, relativly new to machining. The school I am attending right now is selling some of their old machinery. And, I have tried rather extensivly searching to find what a good price for them is, and have had not luck, hence I am here. So, what are your thoughts? I am looking at a Bridgeport style mill, made by Sharp, and an actual Bridgeport. In terms of tooling all they come with is a R8 collet set. What do you think they are worth? I am also looking at some Royal 1640's, they come with a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw chuck, live center, drill chuck, CNMG & DNMG tool holders. If anyone could give me an idea of price that would be great, because I am almost clueless. Thank you!:confused:

because I am almost clueless. Thank you!:confused:

Shouldn't be TOO dam' hard to help you fix that "almost" part?

Is it that THEY have no klew what to ask?

You have no klew why you would want it?

Or you can't use go ogle to see what same models have been fetching, used market, recent days, months and years?

Because.... no such animal as "MSRP" for tired machinery.

Most experienced hand HERE would likely have to do the same.

Go SEARCH .. now. Not a year ago. To find out what current prices have gotten to in an ever-changing marketplace.

Page Two:

If the goods are decent, AND your needs match to them?

Don't forget to compare what it is going to cost to MOVE them. Same-day, down the local road, your own effort, best bud's pickup with a decent hitch, day rental trailer.

Or half way across the continent, prep, rigging out, freight, and offloading.. if not also third-party rigging IN.

One thing they don't teach anymore in schools is how to ask a question that can actually be answered.

For example, they stopped teaching people to provide details. Things like condition, age, features, etc.

So instead of asking good questions and getting good answers, you'll get stupid answers like this one in response to stupid questions like that one.

And, there's no way you 'searched extensively' for references....if you actually had done so, you'd have found a thousand good examples.

Price? $0 - $20,000

Hello, first off, I am new to the forum, and as an added bonus, relativly new to machining. The school I am attending right now is selling some of their old machinery. And, I have tried rather extensivly searching to find what a good price for them is, and have had not luck, hence I am here. So, what are your thoughts? I am looking at a Bridgeport style mill, made by Sharp, and an actual Bridgeport. In terms of tooling all they come with is a R8 collet set. What do you think they are worth? I am also looking at some Royal 1640's, they come with a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw chuck, live center, drill chuck, CNMG & DNMG tool holders. If anyone could give me an idea of price that would be great, because I am almost clueless. Thank you!:confused:

Take all the money you got....throw it up in the air...
what ever sticks on the ceiling, is how much you spend:
The Black Keys - Gold On The Ceiling [Official Music Video] - YouTube

As you have seen by the replies, you should have asked this on the "other" forrum.I can remember a time when I didn't know everything that there is to know about every subject,so I will answer your question. Around St,Louis ,any Bridgeport that is functional will bring $1500. If it is nice and has digitals ,$2500 to $3500.Very excellent fully equipped ,around $5000 Edwin Dirnbeck.

As you have seen by the replies, you should have asked this on the "other" forrum.I can remember a time when I didn't know everything that there is to know about every subject,so I will answer your question. Around St,Louis ,any Bridgeport that is functional will bring $1500. If it is nice and has digitals ,$2500 to $3500.Very excellent fully equipped ,around $5000 Edwin Dirnbeck.

NO, this is the right forum, it's how it was asked.

I agree around $2,000 to start. It weighs roughly 2,200 pounds. How much will it cost to move it? You will have to invest in straps or chain hold downs to secure it in a rented trailer. A engine hoist will not lift that weight high enough to get into a pickup truck. Will they make you pay if you destroy the floors as you haul it around inside the building. Will they allow a uninsured person to remove it from their building.
Bill D

Figure the tooling will cost roughly as much as the bare machine over time. A vise and some endmills included will add little to the first cost but save a good amount over sperate purchases. Even some scrap steel thrown in is helpful to the budget.
Bil lD

Go to H F and buy the thing they call a "mill" and use it for a couple weeks until you either tell yourself
"This was a mistake, I bought a pos and I need something better" or "I don't need this as a hobby/career"

Then ask the question with more information

Go to H F and buy the thing they call a "mill" and use it for a couple weeks until you either tell yourself
"This was a mistake, I bought a pos and I need something better" or "I don't need this as a hobby/career"

Then ask the question with more information

Easier to tuck your tail between your legs and go buy a bass boat with a hole in the hull and a seized-up motor?

Back