What's new
What's new

Manual Bridgeport with ball screws?

Rprecision

Aluminum
I have bought a late 89-91' era bridgeport which has very little backlash in x and y axis. They feel different as well. Are these ball screwss?

This is a new one for me

Pictures attached

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210225_131242.jpg
    20210225_131242.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20210225_131833.jpg
    20210225_131833.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 147
I have ball screws on my Webb 4Vh. (Taiwan). I converted it back to manual from former factory CNC operation. They are terrific. 0 lash on Y and .007 on X. No problem climb milling if table is snugged down.

Lots of myths around about negatives of ball screws. My friend has a BP with two full turns of lash with standard screws. He doesn't care since he uses the DRO.

Webb wanted $1,000 for standard screws so I kept the balls and never looked back.

Last edited:
I have one with ballscrews and I love it. No backlash and climb milling is easy. Just remember to lock the gibs.

I have never heard of a manual BP from the factory having ball screws, but we sell ball screw kits for Bridgeports all the time.

I have also seen people take the EZ Trak components off and keep the ballscrews. But most likely theyre hiwin ballscrew kits.

Jon

I have one with ballscrews and I love it. No backlash and climb milling is easy. Just remember to lock the gibs.

Won't take long to wear out the gibs when doing that! Bridgeport didn't sell manual machines with ballscrews for a reason, they can be dangerous if you climb mill, when the cutter gets a good bite you will be lucky if the end mill snaps off. Otherwise you might get a few broken fingers when the handle whips.

Mr Bridgeport

I ran a eztrack for 10+ year's and I can't remember ever having a axis move catastrophically when manual machining and I would never drag the locks!

IMHO ball screws are a massive upgrade that I would happily pay for

Ps eztrack screws are 5 tpi just like a non ball screw machine

Back