What's new
What's new

Strategy for cleaning drilling / slotting copper bus bar

kb0thn

Stainless
Hi Guys,

We make various little bus bars that go in our products. 10's per year of about 10 different part numbers. Normally something like 1/4" thick 110 copper and we need quarter inch clearance holes (0.257" diameter) or slightly slotted holes (0.257 hole elongated 0.125"). Occasionally we have tapped 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 holes.

This is the only copper I have ever machined and it has always comes out a mess when drilling. Terrible burrs. Once I get rid of the burrs, no problems tapping.

I have good VMC with flood cooling and 12k spindle. What sort of strategy would you recommend for tools and tool paths / and speeds and feeds to make a clean hole? Since low volume, I don't really care too much if it takes 2 seconds or 1 minute per hole.

Thanks for your advice,

-Jim

An update:

I've previously made these parts on a CNC knee mill with mist coolant. They were always a gnarly mess. Hence the reason for my question.

Read through a bunch of previous posts and there were a few that mentioned just doing it like aluminum. So I did. Just used the default cutting conditions for aluminum. Helical bored (Mazak "tornado" cycle) the holes with a 3/16" 3 flute carbide end mill at my max spindle speed of 12,000 RPM. Flood coolant using Trimsol at 5%. Holes came out beautiful. Little flap of aluminum at the bottom and little edge pushed up at the entry. Both easily clean off with a the deburr tool while the next part runs.

20210226_131422.jpg

20210226_131434.jpg

20210226_131442.jpg

Back