What's new
What's new

scraping cross slide

Larry kirk

Plastic
Hope this is in the rite place. I have 13x40 lathe that the cross slide& gib are badly worn look for someone to scrape and fit a new gib and have some idear of cost i live in bc canada but could ship it. thanks

Depending on the quality of machine etc it may only have been ground to begin with unless there's obvious signs of actual scraping and NOT just half hearted oil flaking for looks. The moderators may move this to the actual machine tool rebuilding forum here, https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/machine-reconditioning-scraping-and-inspection/ I'm an hr. from you and don't know of any shops in Kamloops or Kelowna that could do the work. I'm not saying there might not be any, but there so far unknown to me. Vancouver/Burnaby apparently do have a few but I don't have any names handy. Maybe try a Google search for machine tool rebuilder's in B.C. as a start.

You might consider a posting in "Machine Reconditioning, Scraping and Inspection" since your request covers pretty much all of that. I have to warn you that sometimes you're opening a #10 tin of worms when you start looking at refitting a lathe and most of the time not all of thr worms can be stuffed back in. Refitting the cross slide to the saddle might make some saddle to bed adjustments necessary as well as compound to cross slide fixes (the former more than the latter). If there's sufficient wear a completely new gib might have to be made. Finally you'll want to figure out why there's so much wear and correct for that.

Many folks look at the cost (including shipping the lathe, or most of it anyway) and conclude that they need to learn how to do it themselves. I don't think it's cheaper in the end but you do end up with a bunch of tools after it's all said and done.

You might consider a posting in "Machine Reconditioning, Scraping and Inspection" since your request covers pretty much all of that. I have to warn you that sometimes you're opening a #10 tin of worms when you start looking at refitting a lathe and most of the time not all of thr worms can be stuffed back in. Refitting the cross slide to the saddle might make some saddle to bed adjustments necessary as well as compound to cross slide fixes (the former more than the latter). If there's sufficient wear a completely new gib might have to be made. Finally you'll want to figure out why there's so much wear and correct for that.

Many folks look at the cost (including shipping the lathe, or most of it anyway) and conclude that they need to learn how to do it themselves. I don't think it's cheaper in the end but you do end up with a bunch of tools after it's all said and done.

This, but it's a deep and twisty rabbit hole to go down.

A top slide isn't difficult to do if you've got the tools but as you say, where to stop. I re-scraped my Monarch CY top slide, then had to do the rotating ring base on both top slide and cross slide and as the wear on the cross slide was pretty bad, did a half-arsed job on it to get better bearing.

I ignored the saddle despite knowing there's lots of wear because I didn't have the time to put in, and it's big & heavy to boot.

So as Russ says, think carefully before opening the can...

PDW

Back