What's new
What's new

Looking for parts

Corey S

Plastic
I acquired a 1953 SBL 9” model A, two owner father/son, Then passed on to me.

Lathe is in my opinion excellent shape, neglected but excellent shape. I cleaned it up this weekend and began using but noticing some missing parts. If anyone is of any help to point me in the direction to purchase them would be appreciated.

Thread dial indicator
Steady rest
Carriage stop

Also any help with an indexing plate. (Universal, custom built) looking for something I can bolt on possibly.

I am missing some parts for the tapering attachment I think. It doesn’t seem complete.

The lathe has the original 1/2 hp GE motor but has a start capacitor problem, I have to pull the belt and turn on at the same time to get it going. If anyone has any info on this as I have looked but can’t find much on replacement part or even someone to do it.

With this lathe came and I have not seen one anywhere but a turret that has never been used. Needs cleaned up but I don’t think I have a purpose for it and might be willing to sell/trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might get lucky and find some parts here, if not look on ebay, there is a steady supply there. You most likely need a new capacitor, take cover off, read values off the cap, order new one (Grainger, McMaster, ebay, Amazon), its as simple as unplugging old one and plugging wires into the new one. Keep the turret, one day you will realize how functional it is.

The lathe has the original 1/2 hp GE motor but has a start capacitor problem, I have to pull the belt and turn on at the same time to get it going. If anyone has any info on this as I have looked but can’t find much on replacement part or even someone to do it.

I just finished restoring what I believe is a circa 1958-ish GE motor, and I can tell you that parts are damned near unavailable
with exception to the capacitor. Like Tommy said, remove the cover and write down the values of the capacitor.
Personally, I didn't find the exact capacitor on Amazon. Rather, I found it at Witmer Motor Service, in stock, ready to ship for a total of 20 bucks.

My cap is on a GE 5KC-43xxxxx motor.
It is a BC-400M-165 Vanguard Capacitor; 400-480 uf (microfarad); 165 Vac; 50/60 Hz.
The cap has no polarity. (you might set a screwdriver against both terminals before handling first).
The cap is also smaller that the original, not that it matters. Yours may well be different, so be sure
to give the exact values when you call them.
Witmer is in Stevens, PA, and the phone number is (717) 336-2949

You might want to review my thread down below for some pics on my motor rebuild. I don't know if that's
something you would undertake. There is a dual-contact "switch" mounted to the board inside. It too is totally unavailable.
If you get into the motor, certainly burnish these contacts lightly with some 600 grit wet/dry.
The bushings are unavailable (no bearings), but more than likely, the bushings are fine.
The rubber rings (vibration) on the sides of the fame are no longer available (in original configuration) either, but they sell
some that are close enough.

GE Motors on 9" Lathes

Yes, need some pics of your lathe!
Good luck
And welcome to the churn.

PMc

View attachment 315607 View attachment 315608 View attachment 315609 View attachment 315610

Thank you for replying with excellent advice. I will call them tomorrow and try to get the Capacitor. I don’t plan on overhauling the entire motor it would just be nice to only have to utilize one hand to turn on/off [emoji106]

ec54f0d6f80f8c78d3736076fc20786a.jpg

Day I brought it home, ill get a better pic of the turret once I clean it up. You can see it in the top left.

Day I brought it home, ill get a better pic of the turret once I clean it up. You can see it in the top left.

Sweet machine! I seldom see these in "as found" condition with the large pulley guard still I place.
Man, there is an awful lot of weight on the overhang of that table!!
Just saying.

PMc

View attachment 315614

There was a large tool box on the back that somewhat help counter weight it. My buddy kept most of his tooling for his new machine. It’s never been unbolted from this table. The table is original south bend and came with the machine according to original owner. But yes very good point, especially while having to yank on the belt to start it...I should definitely bolt down or counter weight. That is one nice machine you have there!

Unless the taper attachment is not mounted to the lathe I see no signs of one on the lathe in that picture.

The taper is not on the machine but I will get a picture of it, maybe we could determine what is missing.

I’ve searched through eBay for a threading dial indicator. Everything I find is 3D printed. Has anyone used one of these? Do they work? More importantly I’m missing the set screw in the apron to hold the indicator on. I’ve looked through the parts list document I have and don’t see a part# or any indication of thread for that screw.

Mercy ! get a few course thread bolts and see what fits ! Will be either 1/4-5/16 or 3/8s , been a long time since I had hands on a small SB. My best guess is 5/16s X 18. People are proud of those genuine SB threading dials for sure.

Also any help with an indexing plate. (Universal, custom built) looking for something I can bolt on possibly.

I see that you are looking for an indexing plate, all I can say is look at the Utube videos, and see what others have done, then you will have to find something and adapt it to what you need,

I was looking at a few different styles that are out there, and had picked up a few saw blades to fab something up. then I came across a dividing head / indexer set up. and then adapted it to something I could use, below is what I purchased, and how I adapted it to my lathe.
now that I have it, I have been using it a good bit lately, and am very happy with the results. good luck with what you end up doing.

Attachments

• 4b plunger ingaged.jpg
    4b plunger ingaged.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 1a as purchased.jpg
    1a as purchased.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 44
Hello! ...... with regard to your capacitor issues, if you can get the capacitor removed from the motor, and if the capacitor has legible print on it, then you can get a replacement online ; I have a drill press with a single phase motor that had the same issue ...... by entering the info printed on the capacitor, I was able to buy a replacement ... take care though, as these capacitors do store energy, and can deliver a good shock if you touch the wrong place...... good luck in your repairs!!

I’ve searched through eBay for a threading dial indicator. Everything I find is 3D printed. Has anyone used one of these? Do they work? More importantly I’m missing the set screw in the apron to hold the indicator on. I’ve looked through the parts list document I have and don’t see a part# or any indication of thread for that screw.

5/16-18 set screw. 3D printed thread dial indicator works like a charm for me.

020.jpg022.jpg030.jpg

I will keep it, but I think I’m missing some pieces. Need to research a bit more on it.

c33d81e746b60486ed87321281028727.jpg

Haven’t cleaned it up yet but here’s a pic of it up close. Old Owner said he’s never used or seen it in use

Back