What's new
What's new

Brother Speedio Remote MPG

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
FYI, don't drop those, they land wrong and break.

OK. So I dropped the damn thing and it broke the switch that chooses which axis to move. Inside the housing is a nice little circuit board with two rotary switches soldered to it. One switch in good condition. One in two pieces.

Naturally 5 years is too old and the MFG no longer has any parts for those.

Moving on to Yamazen. OUCH! damn those are expensive. So I'm ordering one.

Doesn't mean I'm done trying to repair this one tho.
Does anybody have an old one flying around that has the pitch knob broken and the axis knob functional?

I will make this work again, I just don't know how yet.

Any markings on the part? Usually stuff that big is marked with manufacturer and model number. Once you have that, it's probably only a couple bucks a Digikey.

FYI, don't drop those, they land wrong and break.

OK. So I dropped the damn thing and it broke the switch that chooses which axis to move. Inside the housing is a nice little circuit board with two rotary switches soldered to it. One switch in good condition. One in two pieces.

Naturally 5 years is too old and the MFG no longer has any parts for those.

Moving on to Yamazen. OUCH! damn those are expensive. So I'm ordering one.

Doesn't mean I'm done trying to repair this one tho.
Does anybody have an old one flying around that has the pitch knob broken and the axis knob functional?

I will make this work again, I just don't know how yet.
Get a 3rd party one and save yourself $1000
Buy Tosoku HC115 MPG Hand Wheels - CNC Specialty Store

IMG_0341.jpg
IMG_0340.jpg

This is the little PCB with the rotary switches on it. Really simple to replace this if only the MFG still existed. SIGH.

If there is one thing I know, if I dropped it once, I will drop it again, so repairing this as my spare is still my goal.

They want $695 for that one you linked and to be honest, I would rather just add the $250 to that and get the Brother approved one. It isn't that huge a savings. Trying to save $200 on a $100k machine is a bit nit picking.

I just linked a site, I didn't pay much attention to the actual part that was shown.
But you're right, I thought they were $2k, but they're half of that.

Perhaps try gluing it back on? Just be careful to not glue it to the board. My go-to glue for stuff like this is a good epoxy.

After looking at it again the first thing I would try is to find that exact part and if I could get it then see if I could remove the top/black section from the new one and snap it on the section that is soldered on your board. It is an off-the-shelf rotary switch, not a custom-made part specific to your mill.

View attachment 314890
View attachment 314891

This is the little PCB with the rotary switches on it. Really simple to replace this if only the MFG still existed. SIGH.

If there is one thing I know, if I dropped it once, I will drop it again, so repairing this as my spare is still my goal.

Get everything as clean as you can. Then epoxy the switch case back over the hub?

Otherwise: 12 pin rotary switch - Google Search

If you can figure out the switch manufacturer throw that in the search.
I doubt you will find the actual board. But, I'm sure you can retrofit a new switch there.

EDIT: DS beat me to the glue suggestion! LOL. I agree, a good clear epoxy (not JB-weld).

Yes, I see that now.
Still, the wash gun, at least ours, isn't worth even 1 dollar, it's useless.
I advise anyone thinking about getting that option to re-think it.

It runs without the coolant on, I doubt anyone ever paid close to list on it and it is useful when cleaning the machine when I have done that job.

On my old brother I had a. Similar problem. I got new switches from digikey. They’re just pcb mount rotary switches. It takes a little detective work but doable.

It runs without the coolant on, I doubt anyone ever paid close to list on it and it is useful when cleaning the machine when I have done that job.

As in the wash gun has it's own pump? We hooked in a T down at the coolant tank and ran a hose up for a spray nozzle, works like a champ. Maybe $60 total off McMaster, including nice heavy hose, brass fittings, and nozzle.

I love Speedios, but the $920 MPG does seem steep.

I think I’d have someone print up a rubber bumper protector thingy so it can’t land on the knobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As in the wash gun has it's own pump? We hooked in a T down at the coolant tank and ran a hose up for a spray nozzle, works like a champ. Maybe $60 total off McMaster, including nice heavy hose, brass fittings, and nozzle.

I love Speedios, but the $920 MPG does seem steep.

As in the pump continues to run even when coolant is not running inside the machine.

We paid $600. And for that price it should peel the paint off of walls.
Don't get me wrong, I love our Speedio, but I think they dropped the ball when it comes to a couple of things.

Back