What's new
What's new

Polygon Turning, Feed per Rev of Tool or Workpiece or Both?

Saz

Plastic
I'm just a wee bit confused about the use of feed with polygon turning. Normally the feed would be per rotation of the tool (or workpiece in the case of turning). The issue is in polygon turning both the workpiece and the tool are rotating and I haven't been able to find anywhere that explicitly discusses this. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :willy_nilly:

I'm thinking the master spindle is what the feed would be looking for the ipr feed. could use g94 and ipm independent of either master or slaved spindle speeds.

Thanks for the response! Would you say if the tooling vendor gives me a recommended feed per rev, is that referring to the feed of the main spindle, or does that mean I would need to work out the feed on the main spindle that would give me that feed for the tool?

not knowing your control, but the siemens you can set any spindle you want as the master. so i can make the driven tool(say s3) my master and have the main spindle (s1) as it slave.

I have always programmed polygon milling as feed per rev of the workpiece. That is probably what your tooling rep was giving you numbers for.

Back