What's new
What's new

Oddball Bridgeport clone (Hartford) spindle

wgadelman

Plastic
I just got a Hartford vertical mill. I took a chance on it from HGR in Ohio, it showed up the other day and for what I paid for it everything looks great. The only issue I have is the spindle bore is not R8, Erickson qc 30, or nmtb 30. It is an 1 1/4 straight bore about 2 inches deep with one set screw in the side. Has anyone seen this or know what it is? There is no hole in the splined shaft for a draw bolt

sounds worse than a 1-A toolmaster. is the thing ancient ? as in pre-historic?

maybe you can adapt a collet chuck. tg-100 or er40 . is this a turret bpt type
machine- or more of a van-norman weirdo-turkey? a set-screw implies there
will be significant runout to the spindle.

are you sure this isn't some fucked-up production factory machine ,made to produce one part
all day long with the same tool and slave labor?

show a photo.

The Hartford here, which was bought new in the late 70s/early 80s(??)is R8. Due to replace bearings in the near future too, can't imagine what's done there on yours....sounds like a case of butchery or parts missing.

If you "go advanced" to preview your post, "manage attachments" will appear below the dialogue box > upload pics > voila!

This is the only picture I have till I get back home in a week and a half. It's looking up into the spindle.

Attachments

• KIMG0146.jpg
    KIMG0146.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 166
The picture can be improved a little, but still not real easy to interpret. Need more angles showing other views. It doesn't have drive keys, so obviously not a 30 taper. Are you positively sure it's not an adapter inserted into the actual spindle taper?

20210513_051701.jpg

Here's a potato spec pic looking up the spout of a 2S, taper should be sufficiently evident, it's probably closer to 4~5" deep, drawbar up the top of course.

If it's 1.25", suggests it's intended to be R8, rather than anything else. Hard to imagine how you'd tighten a set screw, short of drilling the quill and doesn't strike me likely to produce much precision.

Attachments

• 2021-05-18 14.48.29.jpg
    2021-05-18 14.48.29.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 58
Is this that shop made steel plate table with the hartford head?

If so that’s not a vertical mill, more like a shop made drill press using a clone head.

The head is fixed and doesn’t move right?

And there’s no x/y table at all.

Or do you got something else?

Edit, never mind.

Here’s what I thought you bought LMAO

Used Drill Press Base | HGR Industrial Surplus

Last edited:
Some better pictures

Attachments

• KIMG0158.jpg
    KIMG0158.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 114
  • KIMG0151.jpg
    KIMG0151.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 115
  • KIMG0153.jpg
    KIMG0153.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 106
  • KIMG0152.jpg
    KIMG0152.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 104
  • KIMG0154.jpg
    KIMG0154.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 97
That is a machine designed to do one job. The only thing I can see that has any value is the bridgeport head and that is not not much as it appears that the original spindle has been replaced with a shop made spindle. Heaven knows what else has been done to the head. All I see is Bridgeport parts head and a few pennies of scrap steel.

Tom

That’s wild. Is it possible there’s a tool inserted into the spindle? I’ve never messed with a bp so I can’t tel where the spindle ends and a possible tool begins.

I agree ekretz, mill press :D

What was your plans when buying this? I don’t see any hand wheel x/y movements, only locks.

I bought it just for the head. I have a horizontal mill that I'm going to put the vertical head on so I can have both capabilities.

Should be easy to pull the spindle, take the setscrew out of the back and unscrew the nose. A new spindle can be found used pretty easily. If there is a thru hole for a drawbar you could probably loctite a sleeve in it for a more common taper.

There is no through hole for a draw bar. I did a quick check on eBay the other day and didn't find a used R8 spindle. Was looking at the new imports that come with bearings, they would work till I could find a used one no more than I'm going to use it for now.

Do not count on BP parts fitting that Hartford head!! BP's are made to inch dimensions 99% of the imports were made to metric. I have worked on a few of the imports and the parts look very close until you try to install them. A idea is get a straight shank ER collet chuck that has the correct size shank and fit that to the spindle ER 25 would probably work out OK.

I also have a Hartford Milling machine head. I bought it years ago with the same thing in mind.
However mine has a R8 spindle. When I rebuilt it I used Bridgeport parts. They were an exact match.

Back