What's new
What's new

Inherited Machine Shop

thanajon

Plastic
Hello Practical Machinist,

I've inherited a machine shop from my brother. I posted about this in the PM Form on Commerce-machines for sale back in November shortly after he passed and received a bunch of helpful information. Thank you to everyone who responded.

Since then I have been selling his other assets and am now ready to try to sell his machine shop. In doing some research on his tools here, I see that my first posting violated the rules-(I'm not in the business and not able to contribute), so trying to be respectful of your community moving my questions here to this general forum as requested in the Commerce forum sticky.

I am looking for anyone in my local area, Silver Spring, MD (DMV) who would be willing to help me with my research and assessing whether I have placed reasonable values on the items that he had so that I can sell his machines and tooling locally. I am hoping that I can find another shop or group who would be interested in purchasing the shop in bulk, if possible, or alternatively parting the shop out as efficiently as reasonably possible to machinist who can make use of all these machines and tools.

If you are local to the DMV and would be able to help me assess the value and identify possible markets or purchases local to me, please contact me at Three Oh 1- 388- Five 4 Nine 1 or send me a PM with your contact info and let me know a good time to call you. Thank you PM community for your help and info.

Here is short listing of the some of the items that I "think" I have been able to identify in his shop:

Hardinge HLV-B, Set of 33 MSC 5C Collets, compound slide
Hardinge ESM Lathe, Set of 24 Hardinge 5C collets, compound slide
Bridgeport Milling Machine J-97595
Bridgeport Milling Machine (taken apart for repair?)
Di-Acro Number 2 Hand Punch Press w/ 2 die holders
Di-Acro Round Punch and die set (47 Punch and Die set)
Di-Acro Finger Brake No 24.
Yuasa 550-007 8" Vertical Indexer
Yuasa 553-301 Adjustable Tail Stock

Thank you,

Jonathan Wright

You do have some value there, but it's likely mostly for the home shop owner. This isn't a bad thing, smaller machines like those can be easier to sell at a good price to that relatively large (and more prone to opportunity purchasing) market.

The cleaner the machines are the easier they are to sell, so it's worth putting some effort there. Cutting tools (drill bits, endmills, etc.) will sell if in good shape and stored correctly, most of us don't like to see edges contacting each other (loose tools) due to damage inevitability.

You can check Ebay's sold records for machines similar to yours to get an idea of value. Offered prices are not as useful.

"Clean" means well oiled and free of rust. For heaven sake, do not start slapping paint on things. That is a mistake that all to many make thinking that a fresh coat of paint will make it sell faster.

That is a sad job you have. Good luck!

You do have some value there, but it's likely mostly for the home shop owner. This isn't a bad thing, smaller machines like those can be easier to sell at a good price to that relatively large (and more prone to opportunity purchasing) market.

The cleaner the machines are the easier they are to sell, so it's worth putting some effort there. Cutting tools (drill bits, endmills, etc.) will sell if in good shape and stored correctly, most of us don't like to see edges contacting each other (loose tools) due to damage inevitability.

You can check Ebay's sold records for machines similar to yours to get an idea of value. Offered prices are not as useful.

Back