What's new
What's new

Gorton Proprietery Collet

mswee923

Plastic
Does anyone have any info on the 3 sides gorton collet?
Posssibly if they have any for sale??
Feel free to message me.
I have a 0-16 Gorton mill.

Does anyone have any info on the 3 sides gorton collet?
Posssibly if they have any for sale??
Feel free to message me.
I have a 0-16 Gorton mill.

I had a set. No Gorton mill.

Gave them to the last guy with a Gorton just before you came along!

Hang in there!

There very well could be others as are in a similar "separated from their momma in childhood" situation!

Too nice to throw away. Whether they FIT anything under-roof or not.

Well.. mine were with an adapter to #9 B&S.. but I HAVE #9 B&S collets.

:)

I have one, a 1/2 inch in new condition, which is a rather rare item. Price $75 including shipping.

You can buy an inexpensive 1/2" straight shank ER16 or ER20 collet chuck and collets that will let you hold smaller cutters if you cannot find smaller Gorton collets. You will have to shorten the shank to minimize overhang.

Larry

Gorton 1-2 collet 4.jpg Gorton 14778 1-2 collet.jpg Gorton 1-2 collet 2.jpg

I have one, a 1/2 inch in new condition, which is a rather rare item. Price $75 including shipping.

You can buy an inexpensive 1/2" straight shank ER16 or ER20 collet chuck and collets that will let you hold smaller cutters if you cannot find smaller Gorton collets. You will have to shorten the shank to minimize overhang.

Larry

View attachment 322404 View attachment 322405 View attachment 322406

Worth trying to assemble a set for those who have the "Mothership" spindle for them.

It's actually an excellent design for how it is used. Toolholder. With rather better grip than many others have.

AND NOT rod or bar stock parts-making feeder as a 3C or 5C or 2J or 3J might be on the spindle of a lathe.

Most Gorton's are used with a solid drawbar/draw-rod, not a hollow drawtube.

I hope he uses them. If he does I'm glad he has them to use use his machine. I'm patient. Thanks

I hope he uses them. If he does I'm glad he has them to use use his machine. I'm patient. Thanks

Those who have them usually end up with a duplicate or three. He may have.

Keep the topic alive, and in due course you'll have some, even if only acquired one or few at a go. They are good collets in a compact profile, can easily last a hundred years where an "Are Ate" might not fare well.

Gorton just did things that way.

Went the extra mile, even if not by the same road others followed.

Built more goodness into a smaller work envelope for a given overall size of machine than the other guys. Accordingly consistently delivered higher precision within that reduced space, and for long, long years. It was what Gorton DID.

So not actually "expensive" when amortized over time.

It took me many years to assemble the very good coverage I have in the far more common #9 B&S, for example.

My 40-taper, OTOH, was falling down EASY as well as cheap! Common as ignorant dirt, and not a whole lot more costly, 40-taper variants are.

ONLY once I had most things "covered" with the basics did I start gradually upgrading to "the good stuff".

MariTool.
Brand-new.
Lovely goods!
VERY!

:D

If one had a cylindrical grinder
one could take an ER32 or ER40 adapter
meant for 4MT or a straight shank
and make it fit in place of the Gorton
collet. I do like the ER40 collets, sized
up to 1". I try to fit an adapter to most
every machine in my shop. Also nice not
to have to reach up for the drawbar.

--Doozer

If one had a cylindrical grinder
one could take an ER32 or ER40 adapter
meant for 4MT or a straight shank
and make it fit in place of the Gorton
collet. I do like the ER40 collets, sized
up to 1". I try to fit an adapter to most
every machine in my shop. Also nice not
to have to reach up for the drawbar.

--Doozer

I have LONG had just about every thing under-roof equipped for ER-40, and most of it for ER-20 as well.

And then?

So far, whilst ER will GRIP damned-near anything ROUND.. have been VERY successful in NOT using any of them!

Because.. I have ALSO spent a short ton of money on "more appropriate" collet systems for all the major machine tools, too!

Native 40-taper collets, native #9 B&S collets, Side-lock milling-cutter holders in 40-taper & #9 B&S, TG-100 on 40-taper, 5C, 2J, Rubberflex, Burnerd MultiSize, zero-lengthers, two sizes of PDQ-Marlin quick change with side-lock holders.... "etc".

Well. I WAS barefoot-poor in my youth.

And now I am not.

Besides.. too old to shag. Never COULD dance. Never really got into booze. Never have done any other drugs but "tool whore", "weird motorcar", and "Old Iron disease".

Might as well f**k with collet systems?

You got sumthin' with receptive holes in the bottom of every item but single-malt whiskey bottles, lower-risk of an "STD" and more fun?

I'm listening!

Never too old to learn to do a new trick..

:D

Back