What's new
What's new

Best CAM software for Trak TMC5, TMC7, TMC10

es2058

Plastic
We are getting a Trak TMC mill and was wondering what is the best CAM software to use with this mill. I heard Fusion 360 and Solidworks with Camworks work best. We never done any CAM before primarily manual stuff.

Any info and tips would be appreciated.

Any cam software will work for you, it's the post processor that really makes or break cam to cnc operation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I should say which has the best post processor and support for the TRAK TMC mill.

There is no "best".
That's like asking what is the best tasting beer, everyone will have a different opinion.

We have a couple of Trak LPM machines. We program them with RhinoCAM from MecSoft. Very happy with that product. Support is amazing.

The "Best" CAM software is the one you know how to use best. Most if not all systems offer great features and options, so in today's market, you have lots of choices. Take your time, demo a few packages and make sure to try to program parts that are common in your shop with that software.

IMO there are 2 parts to CAM software. 1) the design side, are you importing or creating and what does that process look like 2) toolpath and post processors, does the cam system offer the features to support what your machine is capable of, and is there a known working post-processor.

With that said, as a long-time BobCAD user I recommend considering BobCAD for 3 reasons.

1) Multiple ownership options to choose from.
Subscription ( pay a yearly fee for use of the software / timed license )
Perpetual license ( purchase once and doesn't expire)
Advantage plan (36 month "maintenance" package that includes software, support, and upgrades )

2) Ongoing Training
No matter what system you choose, you'll need support and training to get going and continue to implement across new machines and staff.
BobCAD offers Free weekly live training, 4-hour live training sessions with Q&A, and sample projects.
BobCAD offers one on one web training, 3-day training seminars, onsite, and in-house training options. They also have a library of training videos to choose from for self-help.

3) Features vs Price
IMO BobCAD offers the best value of features vs price point. With multiple "levels" of toolpath to choose from you can pick the right options for your shop at the right price.

BobCAD has a good relationship with SW IND, They host many post processors for these machines going back to AGE2 AGE3 to the current control models.

In my experience, BobCAD and SW machines make a great pair, based on the type of shops that own SW machines and the feature sets of the BobCAD software, they work well together. I would highly recommend considering the BobCAD product family, take the software for a test drive and see for yourself.

BobCAD CAM V33 Stand alone CAD-CAM system

BobCAM for SOLDIWORKS V9 ( CAM plug-in for SW2015 + )

BobCAM for Rhino V1 ( CAM add-on for Rhino 6 & 7 )

You can use this link to download any of the 3 products, try before you buy. https://bobcad.com/products/cad-cam-milling/

The demo license ( home learning) does allow you to import edit toolpath and simulate programs. The demo version doesn't post G-code

Take a look at EZ-CAM. They are great for new users with no experience, and offer powerful features so you don't get frustrated as you progress. There are hundreds of post-processors that are included with your purchase. You own the software. If you have a solid model of any kind, you simply click on the feature. They have come a long way.

Back