What's new
What's new

Made in America drill?

bll230

Hot Rolled
I have an old Makita made in Japan drill (corded), but it is getting old and I would like a new drill. Does anyone know of a made in US or Japan 3/8 drill with keyed chuck?

Thanks,

John

I doubt there is a US made drill....and if there were, I'd probably not want it.

Where are new Makitas made?

Really, though, for a 3/8" drill you're best finding the model you like and buying it regardless of where it's made. Especially if you use an 'anywhere but China' approach as opposed to trying to buy from two specific countries.

Some of the Dewalt stuff is "assembled in usa" but we know what that means and I don't feel like the quality is there anymore.

I really like Milwaukee for performance vs price point but I'm certain its mostly all Chinese.

Metabo IMO is really the class of the field and made in Germany, but it's not cheap.

Some of the Dewalt stuff is "assembled in usa" but we know what that means and I don't feel like the quality is there anymore.

I really like Milwaukee for performance vs price point but I'm certain its mostly all Chinese.

Metabo IMO is really the class of the field and made in Germany, but it's not cheap.

Dewalt Assembled in the US is better than nothing, but I would agree with you on the quality.

Milwaukee is not only made in China, but also a Chinese company, but the drills are excellent.

Festool also makes drills in Germany, also not cheap.

Makita does still make drills in Japan, but you can't really buy them in the US (sept maybe through Amazon.jp or ebay)

Everything else is Made in China.

Festool or Metabo. Everything else is made in china to a price point, including Milwaukee. Even if the design and marketing is USA, they are riding the brand fumes into oblivion.

I have an old Makita made in Japan drill (corded), but it is getting old and I would like a new drill. Does anyone know of a made in US or Japan 3/8 drill with keyed chuck?

Thanks,

John
I did a little bit of research and I think you might have better luck buying a keyed chuck separately (or using the one off your Makita, if the threads match the new drill). Seems like most of the new 3/8" stuff is keyless. If you said 1/2", I'd have a few recommendations. If you don't mind me asking, why a 3/8" corded? If you can justify it, the newer brushless cordless stuff is pretty impressive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'll say this...I have an old Makita 3/8" drill. It was given to me, and I would guess it's 25-30 years old. As a 3/8" drill, it's not meant for big jobs....but it's a bastard of a drill when you do need it. Very well made and it seems to drill holes way better than my cordless drill, for whatever reason.

I purchased one of these

https://www.hilti.com/c/CLS_CORDLESS_TOOLS_7123/CLS_CORDLESS_DRILL_SCREW_7123/CLS_CORDLESS_DRILL_7123/r2205885

two years ago and short of coring concrete, I'll never use another corded drill again.

Hilti has a 20yr material & workmanship warranty and a 2 yr wear & tear coverage, so I don't care where they are made. (They have production facilities worldwide)

No affiliation with Hilti other than being happy with my purchases

KV
I was going to say the same thing. I just looked on Hilti's website and they actually have 3/8" corded drill with a keyed chuck. The UD 4
UD 4 Drill driver - Corded Drill Drivers - Hilti USA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This thread made me sad, nothing being made?, last one I had was desoutter or some such, there was stanly bridges in the 70s, Milwaukee more recent,
I have a hilti corded TE5 with a keyless 1/2” Chuck, it’s old and small but you better be careful it can bite with torque as bad as an old wolf drill I have,
( that saying I bought a Milwaukee fuel 18 and that thing has a long side handle that’s not for show)
Mark

I was recently in the market to replace my 30 year old Makita 3/8 corded drill. Been making funny noises. Could not find much out there that was corded and a keyed chuck. Decided to take it apart and look inside. Put new brushes in and relubed all the bearings and gear box. Runs great and the funny noises are gone.

I was recently in the market to replace my 30 year old Makita 3/8 corded drill. Been making funny noises. Could not find much out there that was corded and a keyed chuck. Decided to take it apart and look inside. Put new brushes in and relubed all the bearings and gear box. Runs great and the funny noises are gone.

I hope the "authorities" don't see this post. If they do, you may go to jail for "unauthorized repair." :)

Given the current saber rattling by Chinese communist party leaders, is it a good thing that we can't make our own portable tools, socks, shoes, & commodity computer chips for cars and such? Cell phones?

smt

100% agree. It's one thing to have SOME of your stuff made elsewhere, but when it becomes not only nearly everything but most of it from only one country it's IMO a disaster waiting to happen.

Currently used cars are selling at a premium and if China ever shuts off the spigot expect to see not only all kinds of used goods going for unbelievable prices but also a resurgence of fix-it shops.

The recent reliance on China for PPE came as a shock to many.

PS: I treasure my older USA-made tools and do everything possible to refurbish them when needed rather than buy new..

I'll say this...I have an old Makita 3/8" drill. It was given to me, and I would guess it's 25-30 years old. As a 3/8" drill, it's not meant for big jobs....but it's a bastard of a drill when you do need it. Very well made and it seems to drill holes way better than my cordless drill, for whatever reason.

I bought one new 30 years ago.
many drills have passed through, I killed a couple of 1/2" Metabos, but that little Makita is still working just fine.

Thanks for all the answers. Reason I want corded? I have a Dewalt cordless brushless, and while it is a good drill, I like corded for the workshop because of the key chuck and not worrying about batteries.

most new metabo is chinese . they were bought by hitachi. AEG was making
the "milwaukee" stuff in europe until maybe 10 yrs ago.now they are chinese too, and "milwaukee" has a diff owner. i have one of those Czech made
milwaukees, and it is a very solid tool- even came w/ a Hilti branded chuck.

yes... you can still buy MIJ Makita stuff, if you import it yourself. corded
stuff? probably not .

why not just buy a used one . since the evolution of batteries- you can buy
practically unused , second hand, corded power tools for chump-change.
it's not like the 120v is going to be obsolete soon.

i like the Dewalt 505 (mine's italian-made) which i bought in near-new
condition for $15 . (had a few spots of white paint-spatter on the cord.)

Back